case for morbier clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by dg23662, Apr 29, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. It's Coming
    Tomorrow
  1. dg23662

dg23662 Registered User

Jan 26, 2012
    Male
    Retired electrician
    Poquoson Va
    Country Flag:
    Just got a morbier clock that I want to put into a case. I was wondering if anyone knows if and where I may be able to find a good antique case?

2. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It won't be easy. the cases were made from soft wood and the movements often outlived the cases. I think the best chance would be to check the French and the Dutch ebay auctions.

Uhralt

3. Bill Ward

Bill Ward Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 8, 2003
    EE (spec. acoustics) now medicine
    USA
    Urhalt is correct. The usual case is very thin, partly bent softwood that hasn't held up well to the vicissitudes of either time or fashion. In the 1980's there was a decorator's rage for the violin-shaped cases that these clocks often wore, and the movements were often separated (and sold to people like us). Since this fashion has passed, some of these, usually painted white, might still be found with quartz movements.
    On my recent visit to Merritt's antiques in PA, I noticed that they had a few stripped violin cases with movements, one of which had suffered the process poorly (large cracks). They also had a few Norman style walnut cases, but these are nearly in the category of firewood. These cases are very narrow, and not suitable if you have the wide repousse pendulum or dial surround.
    One European dealer has capitalized on the surfeit of movements by replacing the tin box surrounding the movement with Plexiglas, and mounting the whole on wall brackets, sometimes with a transparent dial. This scheme turns out to have an almost irresistible attraction to clockies, or at least irresistible enough to overcome the four figure price.

4. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    there are tons and tons of different pendulums and repouses(the brass sheetmetal stamped part around the dial). most were oval. some were square on the bottom and rounded at the top......

the cabinets were almost all made of pine while a few were oak. perhaps 60-70% of the pine cabinets weren't able to stand the test of time. the movements are fairly common. finding a nice case that fits your repouse and pendulum will a challenge. you never know though.

someone had the hourglass style cabinet for sale on craigslist in....Philadelphia? a month ago. it was pretty rough though....

5. Arthur Cagle

Arthur Cagle Registered User

May 22, 2003
    Male
    Retired
    Greater Baton Rouge Area, Louisiana
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I picked up a Morbier with a solid mahogany case (less pendulum) at Goodwill (or somewhere similar, It's been a while) a few years ago, with some atrocious painted decorations on the front. Case is obviously not original, but is well made and will be quite presentable after I sand and refinish the front. I really don't know if the works are real Morbier or a latter day reproduction. At any rate, they are in good condition. Any information on how to tell the age or authenticity of the works would be greatly appreciated!

6. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    make yourself a new thread and post pictures of the movement particularly from the left side. that will tell a lot. also, you can google a website that is called something like "dating your comtoise clock".

my wife's and my example came from a garage sale. the cabinet is in pretty darn good shape with original paint. the movement was a bit of a basket case as it was missing more than a few of its bell strike mechanism parts. the parts that were there were pretty sloppy. I ended up buying another movement off eBay. the replacement has a gong strike, so it is probably 20+ years newer than the original, but it was complete and had no detectable wear in any bushing holes.

7. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here's one example of a case from the period.
    Comtoise Eds crown wheel5.jpg