• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Case content and identification marked Goldinum wears like solid gold

Lovewatches101

Feb 14, 2020
Country
Ive recently come across this watch and im hoping some1 can explain the content of the case,it's marked Goldinum brand trademark wears like solid gold and it has the initials of the makers name under it,it has the name Medana,is it like a fahys permanently gold filled case or is better,some1 please help

Rick Hufnagel

Just Rick!
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2018
Pittsburgh pa
Country
Region
I've seen "alumigold" and "aluminum gold" but goldinum sounds like it would be the same thing. No gold, but an alloy of aluminum to look like gold. Is the case very lightweight?

I would think its along the lines of silverode, Silveride, silverore, Silverine... None of them contain any silver, just nickel alloy intended to look like silver.

Also, it would help to see pictures.

Lovewatches101

Feb 14, 2020
Country
It actually test as gold 14k and its soft like solid gold cases,I'm sure it's filled but I've never ever seen a marking such as this 1,ive seen guaranteed permanently,one quarter gold pride of elgin and even g.w. ladd cases with 1/2 gold content but never 1 that says wears like solid gold,it has the initials M.S under it for Meyer & Studeli

Last edited:

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
I've seen goldinum described as a cross between gold and platinum. Don't know whether to believe it or not.

Reactions: Lovewatches101

Lovewatches101

Feb 14, 2020
Country
Just a surmise ,but it may be gold alloyed with aluminum. In the late 19th century aluminum was as valuable a gold.
Just a surmise ,but it may be gold alloyed with aluminum. In the late 19th century aluminum was as valuable a gold.
I've seen goldinum described as a cross between gold and platinum. Don't know whether to believe it or not.
Oh wow so now I understand why some cases was made out of aluminum from that time

Lovewatches101

Feb 14, 2020
Country
After doing a lil research I would agree that its either gold and platinum or gold and aluminum,but i would lean more to gold and aluminum alloy mixed but a solid gold case

Jeff Hess

Gold Business Member
Sep 3, 2000
Florida
www.ballwatchusa.com
Country
Region
Oh wow I never expected a mix of platinum,it definetly contains at least 14k was tested with kee gold tester
Kee testers are great for quick sorting. We have several. But 120% they cannot be trusted for gold filled or heavy PLAQUE. Just DON'T!

Reactions: Lovewatches101

mmelvis

NAWCC Member
Aug 31, 2020
Country
Ran down the rabbit hole looking up Goldinum

If you can locate a copy of Iron & Coal Trades Review - Volume 105 - and look at Page 34 , the watch maker, Meyer & Studeli, is referenced

Book reference that has the registered name of Goldinum
Iron & Coal Trades Review - Volume 105 - Page 34
books.google.com › books
1922 - ‎Snippet view
Web link
Goldinum Brand - Metals - Google Search

Snippet from Google
Found inside – Page 34
The month of May gives the best results since Metals , Limited , Brentford Foundry , 2 , Glenhurst “ GOLDINUM BRAND . ” — Metals . Meyer & Studeli November last , but even with the slight improvement Road , Brentford , Middlesex . Société ...

Lovewatches101

Feb 14, 2020
Country
Just wanted to add another pic just to show the color of the case,its not trying to look like gold,its actually a bright white yellowish color,it has no tarnish and is very heavy

Screenshot_2020-09-15-11-33-50~2.png

Reactions: Urban hunter

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
I have not found any reference to alloys of gold and aluminum but I did find reference to a gold aluminum inter-metallic compound. I have some limited background in this. Usually, inter-metallic means nasty physical properties and the gold aluminum inter metallic is also called white plague when it forms in making semiconductor devices. It is formed when aluminum or gold wires wires get bonded to a surface that has gold or aluminum in it (whether it is gold on aluminum or aluminum on gold, it is bad.) A while brittle material forms and destroys electrical contact.

Reactions: S.Humphrey

Lovewatches101

Feb 14, 2020
Country
I have not found any reference to alloys of gold and aluminum but I did find reference to a gold aluminum inter-metallic compound. I have some limited background in this. Usually, inter-metallic means nasty physical properties and the gold aluminum inter metallic is also called white plague when it forms in making semiconductor devices. It is formed when aluminum or gold wires wires get bonded to a surface that has gold or aluminum in it (whether it is gold on aluminum or aluminum on gold, it is bad.) A while brittle material forms and destroys electrical contact.
Oh wow,I don't think it's any aluminum in it,I'm pretty sure it's made of gold and platinum mixed,the watch is from the 1920's which is the time platinum exploded on the market

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigDon
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-