• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Case construction

Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
Country
Region
Hello
I would like to know what kind of cement or plaster of paris was unsed under the onyx or marble.

It is white and looks like maybe some type of cement.

This the structure under the onyx or marble or slate.

Where can I purchase some to do several small repairs?

Thanks for your time.

Don DeMarcus
demarcusdrainage@attbi.com

Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
Country
Region
Hello
I would like to know what kind of cement or plaster of paris was unsed under the onyx or marble.

It is white and looks like maybe some type of cement.

This the structure under the onyx or marble or slate.

Where can I purchase some to do several small repairs?

Thanks for your time.

Don DeMarcus

TomT

Jan 2, 2003
www.xrestore.com
It's likely that the material is gesso which is a mixture of a chalk-like powder and (no kidding) rabbit-skin glue.

This is the plaster like material seen on columns, gilded mouldings around glass and other finely detailed areas.

Regards,
Tom T

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
It seems like I have seen the formula for the cement used on French clocks, but cannot remember where. The formula below, I pulled from the book, Fortunes in Formulas, Hilcox and Sloane. It seemed to ring a bell, as I think I remember eggs as part of the formula.

"A recipe for another cement useful for joining small pieces of marble or alabaster is as follows: add 1/2 pint of vinegar to 1/2 pint skimmed milk; mix the curd with the whites of 5 eggs, well beaten, and sufficient powdered quicklime sifted in with constant stirring so as to form a paste. It resists water and a moderate degree of heat"

Ralph

Don DeMarcus

Aug 26, 2000
Country
Region
Hello
Thanks for the all of the advise, but I came across something that I think is the simple answer.

Phil was very close, it is ceramic tile repair Mastic used to repair small jobs. It is white and hardens overnight. I am very pleased with it results as to repairing the corners of the case where the bolts hold the feet on.

I will have to clean the cement case (for lack of a better name) off before I can replace the green onyx. ONe more minor detail, find some matching onyx. I have purchased several Pen sets on ebay with green onyx, I hope they will match in color.

So far I am very pleased with the results.

If you would like to see pictures of it let me know.

Don

Mike306p/Ansoniaman

Jan 12, 2001
Colorado Springs, CO.
Country
Region
Case Re-construction: Hello Don . I would like to see the pictures when you get time. Thanks Mike 0136966 :biggrin: