• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Case construction and Hermle questions

J

Jim Boyd

I am in the designing stage for a grandfather clock and have a couple of questions. While reading thru the posts I saw where "kit" sellers were flamed for cases with out access for servicing. What kind of access is needed? Small side doors? When looking at pictures of clocks available on the net one thing I don't see is clocks made of highly figured wood other than some with some veneers. I was thinking of using curly maple with walnut trim. Bad idea?
The question about Hermle movements is what is so bad with them? Is the quality that bad or is their cost new so low the rebuilding is out of the question?
Looking forward to your input,

Jim Boyd

Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

J

Jim Boyd

I am in the designing stage for a grandfather clock and have a couple of questions. While reading thru the posts I saw where "kit" sellers were flamed for cases with out access for servicing. What kind of access is needed? Small side doors? When looking at pictures of clocks available on the net one thing I don't see is clocks made of highly figured wood other than some with some veneers. I was thinking of using curly maple with walnut trim. Bad idea?
The question about Hermle movements is what is so bad with them? Is the quality that bad or is their cost new so low the rebuilding is out of the question?
Looking forward to your input,

Jim Boyd

J

jparker

I don't have a problem with kit clocks, except they seem to be expensive. If you consider the cost of a kit and then the time and effort. My opinion is, they can be expensive.
I think you need to build the clock you want. Curly maple and walnut are nice woods. I don't know what they would look like finished, as you have dark and light woods. If you are making a clock to enjoy and pass down through the family, build what you want. The history of the clock will be more important than anything else.
Regarding Hermle movements, I feel they are nice movements. The older ones, I have worked on, are dependable and have not needed anymore attention than others. I believe their movements have been cheapened by the replacement instead of fixing phylosophy. I have seen some Hermle movement models, that are not as good as others. I think it is like buying an engine for a car. Check them out before using. Jim

Dick Bailey

Nov 19, 2002
Visit site
In my opinion a tall case clock should have a removable hood for easy servicing. There is no substitute for being able to get at the movement from all sides in the "wide open spaces".

Dick Bailey

J

Jim Boyd

You have calmed some of my jitters over an already purchased new Hermle 1161 movement! Thanks for the removeable hood suggestion, it should be easy to incorporate.

Jim Boyd