Function Case back question Elgin Shockmaster

FastED

Apr 30, 2022
Country
How do you remove the back on this Elgin? Is it pop off or screw off? Any info on this watch is appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Ed

WIN_20220430_11_38_14_Pro.jpg WIN_20220430_11_38_30_Pro.jpg

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
It definitely doesn't look it will thread off. As to whether it is friction-fit, I can't tell for sure without seeing the sides to check for a seam of some sort. If there is no apparent seam, it might come out through the front after popping the crystal. If it is a one-piece/moncoque case, you might need to pop the crystal by blowing air into the case tube, via hypodermic or special pump tool, after removing the 1/2 stem. IF it is a one-piece case, I believe it will have to have a 2-piece stem.

If you search the board here, or youtube, for things related to monocoque watch cases, you might come up with some proper instructions. Good luck.

Reactions: FastED

FastED

Apr 30, 2022
Country
It definitely doesn't look it will thread off. As to whether it is friction-fit, I can't tell for sure without seeing the sides to check for a seam of some sort. If there is no apparent seam, it might come out through the front after popping the crystal. If it is a one-piece/moncoque case, you might need to pop the crystal by blowing air into the case tube, via hypodermic or special pump tool, after removing the 1/2 stem. IF it is a one-piece case, I believe it will have to have a 2-piece stem.

If you search the board here, or youtube, for things related to monocoque watch cases, you might come up with some proper instructions. Good luck.
Thank you, it has a seem, but I just wanted to make sure to keep fighting it. She's stuck!

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
Is there an area around the seam where there is a crescent shaped depression, or some other sign that it's the sweet spot for removal? Often they'll be just to the outside of the lugs.

FastED

Apr 30, 2022
Country
Is there an area around the seam where there is a crescent shaped depression, or some other sign that it's the sweet spot for removal? Often they'll be just to the outside of the lugs.
nothing, no, not at all.

captainclock

Mar 4, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Country
Region
I had a watch just like this years ago (when I was in Jr. High, around 2000, or 2001 or so) that someone at church had given me in a bag of old watches they had laying around and I tried to see if I could get it running but I wasn't able to get it open (the same issue as the OP) so I ended up just junking the watch out.

Dave Haynes

Sep 12, 2000
Take a small pair of side cutters, put them around the crown open side facing out like you are trying to snip off the stem. Close the jaws slowly, the crown will pop off. Then you will take a knife and lift off the bezel surrounding the crystal. Sometmes you can use a can of ait in the stem pipe which will pop the crystal and ring off. This will access the movement which will drop into your hand cushioned by a clean soft tissue. This how 90% of Wylers are cased.

FastED

Apr 30, 2022
Country
Take a small pair of side cutters, put them around the crown open side facing out like you are trying to snip off the stem. Close the jaws slowly, the crown will pop off. Then you will take a knife and lift off the bezel surrounding the crystal. Sometmes you can use a can of ait in the stem pipe which will pop the crystal and ring off. This will access the movement which will drop into your hand cushioned by a clean soft tissue. This how 90% of Wylers are cased.
Two part stem, thanks.

Ed

Dave Haynes

Sep 12, 2000
"I'd prefer to use round nose pliers rather than side or end cutters for that job.."

The Wyler manual recommends side cutters and their line was almost 100% two piece stems.

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
"I'd prefer to use round nose pliers rather than side or end cutters for that job.."

The Wyler manual recommends side cutters and their line was almost 100% two piece stems.
Fair enough but I was taught to use round nose pliers. Probably because though a few Wylers came past the bench, there were many other brands with two piece stems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerm346
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-