Case and unusual hallmark question.

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by MrRoundel, Feb 19, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MrRoundel

MrRoundel Registered User
    Donor

Dec 28, 2010
    So. Cal., USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 MrRoundel, Feb 19, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    Is anyone familiar with a hallmark for an 18k gold case that says, "Austria/Argentina" 0.750 (in a rectangle) that would be on a Swiss wrist watch case? The watch manufacturer's name is engraved below and the hallmark is quite askew of the plane of the this mark. It seems unusual for the maker, which happens to be Girard Perregaux. I usually see different, more security-inducing, hallmarks on GP 18K cases of the '60's. The marks I see are generally well lined up with company names, etc., not slanted like the one I'm asking about. And they often have icons denoting the karats of gold as well.

Any input is appreciated.

GP750.jpg

2. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator
    Sponsor Gold Business Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  3. MrRoundel

Donor

Dec 28, 2010
    So. Cal., USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sorry. Added image.

4. MrRoundel

Donor

Dec 28, 2010
    So. Cal., USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    OK, so I found another similar marking on another GP watch. It was marked "Industria Argentina", not "Austria Argentina". The missing letters and the lack of obvious connection between two countries was throwing me. The watch with similar markings had the karat content marked on the outside of the case back, next to the "Industria...." marking. So the relatively crude engraving may just be the way things were done for watches exported to Argentina, perhaps cased there as well. No telling for sure. But at least I found a close match for the markings. Cheers.

5. gatorcpa

gatorcpa Registered User

May 7, 2007
    Male
    Country Flag:
    That is correct. At the time this watch was produced, Argentina had a heavy tariff on gold watch cases. An easy solution was to import just the movement and have a contractor produce the case under license.This is why "Girard Perregaux" is also engraved on the inside.

This practice is sometimes called "National Production". Other countries with similar tariffs at that time included the UK, France and the USA. For USA National Production, movements were limited to 17 jewels and stamped "Unadjusted". Many times the US importers adjusted the watches here as part of the assembly of the case and movement.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

Walter W Kerrick and MrRoundel like this.
  6. MrRoundel

Donor

Dec 28, 2010
    So. Cal., USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you for your reply, gatorcpa. Yes, it does help. Cheers.