Casa Meyer Santiago?

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Paul Raposo, Jan 15, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. Paul Raposo

Paul Raposo Registered User

Nov 4, 2005
    Cambridge, ON Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I saw a Paul Ditisheim Solvil Chronometer wrist watch this morning. It's a porcelain dial and above the second hand at the six o'clock location it says CASA MEYER SANTIAGO.

I have found nothing online that's even close to this. Any ideas who this may be? A person? A store? A hotel?

The watch looks to be from the 1920s.

2. Adam Harris

Adam Harris Registered User
    Moore NWCM Award

May 3, 2012
    Male
    Jubilado (retired)
    Costa Blanca - Spain
    Country Flag:
    Hi
    its an 'enamel' dial
    Watch will be circa 1920
    Its the retailers name - spanish
    House (of) MEYER (location) Santiago

3. Paul Raposo

Nov 4, 2005
    Cambridge, ON Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you for replying and your thoughts Adam.

It's actually a porcelain dial. I gathered that the name was a seller, but I can't find any information about the seller. Whether it was from an actual jeweler or from a specialty maison like Secret in Toronto, or a hotel.

4. Adam Harris

Moore NWCM Award

May 3, 2012
    Male
    Jubilado (retired)
    Costa Blanca - Spain
    Country Flag:
    Sadly there is no such thing as an "porcelain" dial the correct term is 'enamel'
    'porcelain' is what the English drink tea from - 'enamel' is how with great skill dials are made off.

MEYER will be the name of the retail store, that was very standard prior to Hans Wilsdorf started to change that in the 1930s

Regards

5. Paul Raposo

Nov 4, 2005
    Cambridge, ON Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think this may just be a case of semantics, as pocket watch dials are routinely referred to as porcelain.

illinois_lincoln%2B019.JPG

Pocketwatch 101 - Pocket Watch Dials, Types and Materials Used, Part 1

Perhaps I used the incorrect name of the actual material used to make the dial, but I'm certain most readers here understood what I was talking about.

The only reference I was able to find about Meyer was from this commercial directory from 1898, Directorio Commercial De Las Republicas Americanas:

Meyer, J.
    Jewelers and Watch Dealers
    (Joyer y Relojerias)

Commercial Directory ...

6. Adam Harris

Moore NWCM Award

May 3, 2012
    Male
    Jubilado (retired)
    Costa Blanca - Spain
    Country Flag:
    Well, again sadly too many so called HOROLOGISTS use incorrect terms, and although I am sure many understood you (as I did), I am a stickler for correct terminology and too that end its 'enamel'

And as I said, MEYER was a retailer (shop) selling SWISS manufactured watches

Regards

7. Paul Raposo

Nov 4, 2005
    Cambridge, ON Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you so very much Adam. Feel free to continue using the term enamel and I'll continue using the perm porcelain. I'm not pedantic.

Now, what can you tell me about the retailer, Meyer located in Santiago Chile who sold Swiss watches?

Jeff Hess likes this.
  8. Adam Harris

Moore NWCM Award

May 3, 2012
    Male
    Jubilado (retired)
    Costa Blanca - Spain
    Country Flag:
    What exactly do you want to know about it?

9. Paul Raposo

Nov 4, 2005
    Cambridge, ON Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What ever you may know about it, Adam.

10. Paul Raposo

Nov 4, 2005
    Cambridge, ON Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Someone must have been reading this thread.

I went in to get some pics of the watch to post here and it was sold :cool:

11. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator
    Sponsor Gold Business Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    -------

Sometimes research mixed with opinions gets things confusing. Add to this "conventional wisdom" and common vernacluar and things get real messed up.

Adam, your learned input is always welcome, but as I have cautioned you before, in research, "never" is a word best used sparingly. Of course there is such a thing as a porcelain dial. When my stores were Glashutte Original dealers we sold many of them, a joint project between G/O and Meissen Porcelain. "Never" in research as we all know is a word destined to get you in trouble. (Over the years, I have disproven scores of statements about Rolex for instance. I enjoy seeing a blogger say "Rolex never" and even wrote an article about "Rolex never").

And the term "porcelain" as noted above is widely used and even "kind of correct". You are right that these dials are enamel but the term "porcelain enamel" is correct as well and often shortened to just "porcelain". Not a big deal. Industrial porcelain enamel - Wikipedia

As to the subject watch, I would be interested in seeing a pic. I have seen Didisheim 1950/50's's watches with the word chronometer on the dial when this was in vogue but none with "enamel" dial. If a very early watch with the word "Chronometer" on it, it "Could be" a rarity.

Jeffrey Hess

Hawk53, Paul Raposo and Kevin W. like this.
  12. Paul Raposo

Nov 4, 2005
    Cambridge, ON Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #12 Paul Raposo, Jan 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    I went back yesterday with the intention of getting some pictures the watch. I was waiting to sell a few of my own pieces to buy this one to keep it. Sadly it was already sold.

Apparently someone called the place and asked if they had this watch. I guess they had been calling all the local markets and antique malls looking for it. If they were so interested they should have just PM'd me and I would have told them.

From memory, below the 12 o'clock was
    Solvil
    Chronometre

And around the second sub dial was Casa Meyer Santiago

The hands were gold Fils style hands and the dial had black outlined Arabic numbers, similar to trench style watches.

The movement was co-marked Paul Ditisheim and Solvil 15 jewels with a serial number that I don't recall.

I should have just stuck a crowbar in my wallet and pried out the $90 CAD but as I wrote, I needed to sell off a few more watches. Now I regret waiting.

Someone around here bought it after reading this thread so hopefully they come back and post some pics.

Hawk53 likes this.
  13. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    sadly, my circa 1800 bergische (german) tall case clock with solid porcelain dial would beg to differ. :cool:

dial_front.jpg dial_back.jpg

“enamel is an opaque, glassy coating baked onto metal or ceramic objects while porcelain is a hard, white, translucent ceramic that is made by firing kaolin and other materials”. wikidiff

porcelain is more of a base, while enamel is more of a coating. and, at least in clocks (and even with the definition above), jewelers regulators are referred to as having porcelain dials.

now... what's the correct term for poking a stick in an ant hole and watching all of the ants come scurrying out? :cool:

14. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thats a really nice dial Bruce.

Jeff Hess likes this.
  15. MartyR

MartyR Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    I think that might be "antagonisticks".