Carvings on pocket watches

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Running slow, Aug 8, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Running slow

Running slow Registered User

Feb 1, 2007
    https://mb.nawcc.org/Were the carvings on 100 year old watches machine done or were any done by hand. I have a 1750 solid gold like new and its very hard to believe someone could hand carve the design.
    37.jpg

Thanks

2. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Is that supposed to be a 1750 watch? I don't think your picture is even an 1850 watch!

3. Cary Hurt

Cary Hurt Registered User

Dec 16, 2005
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    To expand upon what Jerry said, based upon the design of the pendant, and the fact that this is a stem wound, rather than key-wound watch, it appears to be more likely late 19th, or early 20th century, rather than mid 18th century.

To address your question, most early watch cases were indeed hand engraved, albeit to standardized patterns. Solid gold cases, being luxury items, were often treated to custom engraving of a highly artistic nature. Hand engraving stayed the norm until the mass mechanization of the late 19th century allowed rolled or stamped engraving to be incorporated. Solid gold cases continued to be hand engraved until probably the 1930s. For more details, you might want to read Fortunat Mueller-Maerki's review of a recently published book, Memoirs of a Watch Case Engraver by Fritz Baumgartner.

Regards,

Cary

4. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The watch case shown was almost certainly made after 1900. Then pendant style, especially, is around 1900 to 1920.

5. Running slow

Running slow Registered User

Feb 1, 2007
    Indeed this is a Waltham watch used only as a referance and no it is not a 1750. Infact I believe without looking it up it was something like 1904 date.
    The 1750 watch indeed i do have and beautifully carved .However when posted it was not on flicker for transfer so I used the waltham as an example of crisip design .

LOL Can't fool you guys eh LOL

6. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The Waltham was not hand engraved. The tools used to engrave it are in the NAWCC Museum in Columbia. The templates are very large and several cases can be engraved at one time.

There were more than one process used for mass production of complex case designs. I believe some were based on stamping as well as the template engraving machine in the museum.