Cartier Watch Real?

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by kellaurm, Mar 23, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. kellaurm

kellaurm Registered User

Mar 23, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Hi I have a Cartier watch tank americaine, model no. 1710. I inherited it from a relative who passed away. I have taken it to Cartier and they say that the serial number is registered in their system and it matches the watch model number. I have yet to take it to try to be serviced, as I know that Cartier won't service watches that aren't theirs.

My question is, would a Cartier watch be registered if it was a fake? Would the serial numbers match the watch in their system if it was fake? The guy at Cartier said he believes it is real and I have nothing to worry about, but the strap was replaced with an imitation which my relative might've had done to save money at some point. The Cartier guy says he believes the face, clasp etc. are real.

I want to sell this watch so I want to be sure, and will take it to Cartier to be serviced, and see if they will service it. Also, will having an imitation strap devalue the watch by a lot? Would it be worth it to have it replaced? I know this watch should fetch about $2000-2500 US. It is an 18k gold face, with a black leather strap. The new strap is $350 ish, so would I lose a lot without a new strap?

2. MINI

MINI Registered User

Sep 26, 2012
    Country Flag:
    Again, as posted in the Forum Rules and in numerous other similar requests, we are not allowed to discuss values here on this site.

3. kellaurm

kellaurm Registered User

Mar 23, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Okay, I apologize, then I would just like the answer to my other questions. Thanks

4. Hawk53

Hawk53 Registered User

Dec 19, 2013
    retired
    native Californian
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think I would try to sell "as is" without the service and band replace. Leave that up to a new buyer.

5. MINI

MINI Registered User

Sep 26, 2012
    Country Flag:
    I suspect that if the Cartier rep confirmed the serial number as matching the watch in question then its likely real but w/out seeing photos of the watch / movement / inside & outside of the case back it cant be confirmed. I'd check a site like Chrono24.com to see what similar watches they are offering for sale.

6. Adam Harris

Adam Harris Registered user.
    NAWCC Member

May 3, 2012
    Male
    Jubilado (retired)
    Costa Blanca - Spain
    Country Flag:
    Post photos, but I suspect watch is GENUINE!