Carriage clock

1940century

Jan 23, 2010
Salt Lake City, Utah
Country
Looking at a carriage clock that I've had and want to get it up and running, Have the movement out of the case.

I am not sure if there is something missing from the strike mechanism, there is a small spring wire on a pivot, and not sure where it would clip or attach to.
Does it appear that something is missing?

Thanks.
Mike

tempImageHNoT3T.jpg tempImageeuUY1D.jpg tempImagexpghRt.png tempImagexpghRt.png

svenedin

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Country
Region
Carriage clocks cannot have a pendulum or they would be unsuitable to carry!

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I think you are going to need a picture of a similar movement to discern what parts are missing. You have a rack and snail movement. The snail is there, but the rack and at least one lever are missing. There might be several parts needed before the strike will function.

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Mike, could you post a picture of the entire clock that might help people recognize this movement? Thanks!

svenedin

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Country
Region
Seem to have an RG stamp. I thought that was an early Germania stamp but may well be wrong.

Betzel

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2010
Country
Region
I'm no expert, but those plates are solid, pillars and screws look beefy and the blueing has lasted for what seems a long time. Most of it looks German, especially the hammer and suspension cock in the back, but the crutch and pivot cocks look French. But, the oil sinks are just too small. What's with all the tiny holes on the front plate. How was all the strike work held in place? Maybe that's why its not there any more?

Anyway, I think I can make out "patent 98543" and a quick search leads right back here. This thread has information and documents to decorate this rabbit hole until we can see more.

Knowing the patent doesn't tell us who made the movement. However, Türck shows up in connection with several patents that were "realized" in German clocks. Interestingly, one of his DRPs (in his name alone) was DRP 98543, issued in 1898, with a protection from 1897. It was also for a Wiederholungsschlagwerk.
Maybe just a dead end...

1940century

Jan 23, 2010
Salt Lake City, Utah
Country
Thanks for all the replies and help, The case looks like a carriage but I realize the movement should not have a pendulum.
The movement posts to the dial which is screwed to the case. I can't get it running at the moment, however I have not spent much time with it?

Posting a couple more photos.

Mike

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
Assuming that the clock shown in the photos above is the one that links to the movement, you have your terminology mixed up. The clock shown in the photos is not a carriage clock, but a bracket, or table clock.

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
For reference, these are carriage clocks... The largest here is about 7in tall, and the ones shown here, part of my collection, were made between about 1840 and 1970.
All - except Vaucher and English.JPG

Reactions: svenedin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jtvx
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff