Carriage clock repair

ggraham

NAWCC Member
Apr 6, 2007
I am very comfortable with clock repair but currently am involved in the restoration of two carriage clocks. Platform escapements are a bit new to me, and I would like any information on setting the frequency. I believe proper frequency should be near 18,000 beats. I have one that runs very slow and another that runs very fast. I can adjust the length of the hair spring. How much can I expect to change the beat with the spring adjustment? The rest of the restoration is straight foward it just the small parts I need to get used too.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
ggraham, the clocks probably ran just fine at one time with the hairspring as it is now. After you have properly cleaned and serviced the clocks, they will probably be fine again. Do this first.

Jay Fortner

Feb 5, 2011
Chiefland,Fl.
Country
Region
Before you remove your hairspring mark it or measure the tail where it goes through the anchor that way you can put it back in the same place saving you having to find the sweet spot upon reassembly. If you don't remove it from the staff then just hold it in beat and drop the pin in or tighten the screw whichever type of anchor you have.

ticktock19852004

Apr 5, 2007
Hello!

I am having the same problem with a time only carriage clock. I am also new to this type of clock as I specialize in Black Forest clocks. The clock gains about 20 minutes a day on the slowest setting. I have overhauled the movement. The balance wheel does not seem to have adequate amplitude. If I adjusted the tail of the hairspring how would I set the correct beat again?

Thanks!

Neal
-> posts merged by system <-
I should add the clock runs stongly as it is and is in beat.

ticktock19852004

Apr 5, 2007
Hello!

I looked at the hairspring under a microscope. The tail was laying across the top of the other coils. I straightened out the tail so it was not touching any of the coils. Now the balance wheel has quiet a bit more amplitude. May this will fix the problem. I will let ya guys know

Thanks!

Neal

Jay Fortner

Feb 5, 2011
Chiefland,Fl.
Country
Region
Hello!

I am having the same problem with a time only carriage clock. I am also new to this type of clock as I specialize in Black Forest clocks. The clock gains about 20 minutes a day on the slowest setting. I have overhauled the movement. The balance wheel does not seem to have adequate amplitude. If I adjusted the tail of the hairspring how would I set the correct beat again?

Thanks!

Neal
-> posts merged by system <-
I should add the clock runs stongly as it is and is in beat.
How did you set the beat when you overhauled it? To set beat you line up the roller pallet with the lever pivot center with NO power on the EW.
There's a slot in the HS collet that you can stick a small screwdriver blade into. CAREFULLY hold the collet still while rotating the BW into alignment.
I've made tools to make this task a lot easier. They're pieces of heavy stainless wire bent and ground at different thicknesses for different collet slots.

Attachments

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinSer
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller