• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Carillon veritable westminster

G

Gary J

I recently acquired a large wall clock as a restoration project. The dial and chimes are marked "Carillon Veritable Westminster" It is eight chimes. I have cleaned the movement and it appears complete and working except for the pendulum and pendulum rod. I have been unable to find any information or pictures of this type of clock and don't know what style or size pendulum to look for. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Gary

G

Gary J

I recently acquired a large wall clock as a restoration project. The dial and chimes are marked "Carillon Veritable Westminster" It is eight chimes. I have cleaned the movement and it appears complete and working except for the pendulum and pendulum rod. I have been unable to find any information or pictures of this type of clock and don't know what style or size pendulum to look for. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Gary

timelyrestorations

NAWCC Member
Jan 26, 2001
Country
Gary;

Are there any markings on the back plate of the movement? Look for a manufacturers name such as FHS or Urgos, and any numbers following this. Failing that, there is sometimes stamped the pendulum length on the same rear plate (85 cm) etc.

Doug

G

Gary J

Doug, Thanks for the reply. The only marking on the plates is the number 5190. I am almost certain the movement is original to the case. I believe it is French. Hopefully, I can calculate the pendulum length, but I would like to replace it close to the original style. I found a picture of a very similar clock at http://brocac.chez.tiscali.fr/horloge.htm but it is so small it is hard to see.
Thanks again, Gary

Len Lataille

NAWCC Member
Aug 31, 2002
Although the descriptions of the clocks are written in French, I would doubt that a French clock would have the very English, Westminster Chimes. I've never seen one, anyway.

Len
THE CLOCK CUCKOO

G

Gary J

Len,
I was referring to the word "Carillon" as being French as all I've been able to find in the Clock and Watch Trademark index shows Carillon as being French. The chime base is marked "Carillon Veritable Westminster". Would a French clock not have Westminster chimes? I am new to clocks and would like to learn. Thanks for the info, Gary

Andy Krietzer

Feb 21, 2001
Country
Region
Gary,

I think when they use the word "carillon" on this clock, they mean that it is musical. I have looked on ebay, and a lot of small wind up music boxes, and clocks with a chime are called "carillon" in France. I am just guessing, but I would say the movement is German, probably cased in France.

Andy

G

Gary J

Andy,
The German movement and French case could very well be correct. I will continue to research it. My main problem is finding a correct pendulum. I appreciate all the help and info from everyone. Thanks, Gary

LaBounty

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 29, 2002
Mitchell, NE
www.abouttime-clockmaking.com
Country
Region
Hi Gary-

If you are looking for a pendulum stick and bob like the one that is pictured in the link you provided, then there is one listed on E-bay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=745078172

The silver one on the right is the correct bob and stick for a German box wall. The stick can be shortened (with out too much trouble) or lengthened (a little harder) so as to keep time inside your case. I did see some new pendulum sticks in my search but don't know if they'd fit the bob.

Hope that is helpful! David.

G

Gary J

David,
I very much appreciate the tip on the pendulum and your time searching for it. I'll try to get it and make it work.
Thanks once again, Gary

any400day

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 26, 2000
Singapore
www.pasttimesclocks.com
Country
Gary,

I have a french made westminster chime wall clock that looks like yours. It is marked "Vedette" and "Made in France" on both the dial and movement.

My clock is 24" High by 15" wide. The pendulum is octagonal to match the dial. It is 9" long and the pendulum bob is 4 1/4" by 4 1/4" with the sides of the octagon measuring 1 3/4". The following are links to some pictures of the clock and pendulum.

Clock
Trademark on movement
Pendulum front view
Pendulum back view

Hope the above pictures help ;)

Vic
NAWCC Life 205-117905
Member Chapter 168
IHC #56

John Arrowood

NAWCC Member
NAWCC Gold Member
Dec 14, 2001
The clock must have been produced to sell in an English-speaking market else why put the "Made in France" phrase in French and English?

Len Lataille

NAWCC Member
Aug 31, 2002
"carillon" is French for "chimes" and "veritable", is French for "genuine". Therefor, the clock has "genuine Westminster chimes". This would probably refer to the chime rods giving the sound of the notes played by the bells at Westminster Cathedral in England.
I would agree that the clock is for the English speaking market. My guess that market would be either England or the English speaking provinces of Canada.
Being of French heritage, I would find it heresy for a clock with English sounding chimes to be found in a French household, especially in times past.

Len
THE CLOCK CUCKOO

Len Lataille

NAWCC Member
Aug 31, 2002
Gunther
You are correct it is Westminster ABBEY, not cathedral. I would differ though about Westminster Abbey not having Westminster chimes. The chimes could clearly be heard as Princess Diana's coffin was brought into Westminster Abbey, at 11am. I recall being amazed that the chime were not silenced, considering the occasion.

Len
THE CLOCK CUCKOO

Len Lataille

NAWCC Member
Aug 31, 2002
Gunther
No apologies needed. Apparently I had Westminster Abbey mixed up with Winchester Catherdral (I think that one is a cathedral).
Thanks for the link to Westminster. You are fortunate to be much closer to such beautiful sights and sounds, than I am.

Len
THE CLOCK CUCKOO

G

Gary J

I just want to thank everyone again for all the help and info I received from this board. The clock is now hanging on my wall and looks good and the chimes sound great. I used a 4 1/2" bob from another of my wall clocks and it has kept perfect time for 2 days. I will be searching for an octaganal bob as in Victor's pictures on ebay and at the next regional.
Gary

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mirela
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-