Carbon fibre or Delrin tipped tweezers

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by grumio, Apr 26, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. grumio

grumio Registered User

Mar 14, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Does anyone here have experience using Carbon fibre or Delrin tipped tweezers ?

My most frequently used tweezers are currently a pair of Dumont No. 2 in carbon steel, and a pair of broad tipped brass tweezers.

I was thinking of trying a pair of these new Carbon fibre or Delrin tipped tweezers, especially for working with highly finished or easily marked parts.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts

grumio

2. Watchfixer

Watchfixer Registered User

Jun 11, 2011
    TV repair tech.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Don't want to use the carbon fibre tipped tweezers. The fibres do scratch. Delrin is good. Keep in mind any plastic-based tools needs to be kept clean of any dirt that could get embedded and scratch the item being handled.

Cheers, Watchfixer

3. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Plastic tweezers are usually for handling watch batteries. That is what they are designed to do. Metal tweezers risk short circuiting batteries. You can avoid a lot of scratching and launching parts by getting and using finger cots and handling things with your fingers.

4. glenhead

glenhead Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Telecom Engineer
    Williamson County, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I use carbon fiber tweezers for all sorts of stuff, though almost exclusively for bigger stuff. I have the fiber-reinforced PVDF ones (black, solid plastic, run US$6-ish), both fine- and blunt-tipped. Don't use the fine-tipped ones much - I tried them for little parts, and they're just too springy. I use the blunt-tipped ones regularly to handle plates, bridges and cocks either to fish them out of the ultrasonic cleaner baskets (use them every time for that) or when I don't want to put finger cots on (just moving them, but not working on anything at the moment). I also use them to handle batteries and dials. I've never seen them come close to scratching anything, and I inspect every single piece of a watch under a 30x stereo microscope after cleaning. I'm a complete fanatic when it comes to "clean" and "don't scratch", and wouldn't use them if I didn't trust them completely. After all, they use them to handle silicon discs in chip fabrication, and those disc surfaces are a lot more easily scratched than brass. My main two tweezers are a pair of brass AM Peer-Vigors and a few pairs of stainless anti-magnetic Viola or Dumont #12s. I use the brass ones for danged near everything, but the ultra-fine-but-stout tips of the #12s are indispensable for the smallest screws.