capillary oilers

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by doug sinclair, Jun 5, 2003.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    All,

I have for years, oiled shock resist jewels the old fashioned way. Place the oil on the freshly cleaned cap jewel, and then placing the hole jewel in its setting, over the oiled cap jewel. This works fine 80%+ of the time, but unless you are dead on when you place the hole jewel over the cap jewel, the pair end up not properly oiled. Of course that involves re-cleaning the pair and trying again.

I am wondering if anyone on the board (who believes in separating these jewels so they are cleaned properly), who successfully uses capillary oilers to lubricate the re-assembled jewels. Are there problems with residual oil ending up outside the hole jewel (within the hole jewel setting) as the capillary oiler is either inserted into the setting, or upon being extracted? Is it a totally satisfctory method compared to doing the old-fashioned way?

Doug S.

2. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    All,

I have for years, oiled shock resist jewels the old fashioned way. Place the oil on the freshly cleaned cap jewel, and then placing the hole jewel in its setting, over the oiled cap jewel. This works fine 80%+ of the time, but unless you are dead on when you place the hole jewel over the cap jewel, the pair end up not properly oiled. Of course that involves re-cleaning the pair and trying again.

I am wondering if anyone on the board (who believes in separating these jewels so they are cleaned properly), who successfully uses capillary oilers to lubricate the re-assembled jewels. Are there problems with residual oil ending up outside the hole jewel (within the hole jewel setting) as the capillary oiler is either inserted into the setting, or upon being extracted? Is it a totally satisfctory method compared to doing the old-fashioned way?

Doug S.

3. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I recently acquired capilary oilers and while I probably have lubricated fewer watches in my life than you do in week here i smy take.

I Belive the teh cap has to be taken out and cleaned but I have little confidence that the oil spot will be the right size of stay in place on reinstalling the cap.

I used to use a spade oiler and poke it into teh cap with a jewel gage., which is what primarily used the tool to do.

The attraction of the pen type oiler is that the fine wire produces a capilary action that gets oitl to the cap and at least high power magnification shows that it get the oil where it belongs.

In my view, this tool is better than old way.

Dr. Jon