Can't tell if this watch is fake

MR.DIGG

Jan 19, 2021
Country
I found this pocket watch in an old relatives things and cannot tell if it is really what I think it is.
My very limited knowledge of and research on pocket watches tells me that this should be a great case.
I have the feeling that this is too good to be true.

I also broke the hands off of the face so I hope it is fake and I didn't ruin such a watch.

The only wording on the case is the stamp for Philadelphia Watch Case Co.
and under that is 14K GUARANTEED 25 YEARS 1044144

image0.jpg

Bila

Jan 22, 2010
www.ozwatchstore.com
Country
"Gold Filled" case (not solid gold), two layer so of gold over a brass substrate, can you give a picture of the movement (works) from inside the case?

MR.DIGG

Jan 19, 2021
Country
"Gold Filled" case (not solid gold), two layer so of gold over a brass substrate, can you give a picture of the movement (works) from inside the case?
I realize that it would be gold-filled,
considering the inside says Longines Express Leader, it's not the same as the case co so I don't know how much it could help but here.

image0 (1).jpg

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Thats a really nice Longines. Not fake at all. You said you broke the hands? Its not ruined as hands can be obtained. This watch does have value.

MR.DIGG

Jan 19, 2021
Country
Thats a really nice Longines. Not fake at all. You said you broke the hands? Its not ruined as hands can be obtained. This watch does have value.
If the movement is real, does that mean the case is likely real as well?
The markings don't fully match up with what I've seen.
Also, as far as watch collectors are concerned, do the hands themselves matter or are replacement hands just as good?

Bila

Jan 22, 2010
www.ozwatchstore.com
Country
Being an "Express Leader" by Longines it has good value, shame about the hands, hopefully you did not damage the dial, as to find one is extremely difficult and with-out a good dial and hands it will cruel your value to a large degree:(

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Original is always the best. I wonder why you never thought to google first, before breaking anything. They were used on the railway and are quite collectible.

MR.DIGG

Jan 19, 2021
Country
Original is always the best. I wonder why you never thought to google first, before breaking anything. They were used on the railway and are quite collectible.
The watch was in a flood and in the midst of trying to save it, it happened accidentally.

agemo

Apr 5, 2011
SAINT-NAZAIRE - FRANCE
Country
Region
Hi,
Longines produced watches specifically for the American market, named Express Leader and Express Monarch, names registered by A Wittnauer in New York, who was the Longines agent for North America (USA and Canada). These very stony calibers, all chronometers with 17 to 23 jewels, were debaptized in the 1930s at the request of Dueber Hamden, who refused to allow another brand to use a name reserved for American railroads and therefore protected the brand names used by Longines.

longin56.jpg

Amicalement GG

viclip

NAWCC Member
Jul 20, 2018
Country
In Canada, the Longines "Express" models were accepted as railroad grade on the Canadian Pacific Railway.

Listed as approved were the the "Monarch" (21/23 jewels) & the "Leader" (17/19 jewels) in both 16s. & 18s.

Reactions: Kevin W.

Downing

NAWCC Member
Jun 13, 2020
Portland, OR
Country
Region
Better replacement hands rather than no hands, obviously. Not that big of a deal as it's not as if you would have been able to retire on the sale proceeds even if the watch were all original and in perfect working order and condition.

How's the dial?

Try to match the replacement hands to the original as much as possible. Then have it serviced and you'll have yourself a nice watch and it sounds like a good story to go with it.

MR.DIGG

Jan 19, 2021
Country
Better replacement hands rather than no hands, obviously. Not that big of a deal as it's not as if you would have been able to retire on the sale proceeds even if the watch were all original and in perfect working order and condition.

How's the dial?

Try to match the replacement hands to the original as much as possible. Then have it serviced and you'll have yourself a nice watch and it sounds like a good story to go with it.
The dial is perfect, at this point I have already passed it off to a local watch-man who is going to search for hands and fix it right up

Downing

NAWCC Member
Jun 13, 2020
Portland, OR
Country
Region
Sweet! The condition of the dial is way more important, at least to me, than is the condition of the hands.

Some hard core collectors may disagree, of course, but to each his own.

I recently purchased an A. Lange & Söhne pocket watch and immediately replaced the seconds hand without giving it a second thought, er, no pun intended. It probably helped that the seconds hand that came with the watch appeared to be a replacement anyway.

MR.DIGG

Jan 19, 2021
Country
Sweet! The condition of the dial is way more important, at least to me, than is the condition of the hands.

Some hard core collectors may disagree, of course, but to each his own.

I recently purchased an A. Lange & Söhne pocket watch and immediately replaced the seconds hand without giving it a second thought, er, no pun intended. It probably helped that the seconds hand that came with the watch appeared to be a replacement anyway.

Im just afraid that once I get my watch back working new then I will have found myself a new, far too expensive, hobby

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notice
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff