• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Can't slow this clock down.

Naif Baidoon

Nov 24, 2019
Country
I have a Ridgeway clock with movement 1161-653B. I have the Pendulum screwed down as far as I can without having the rods coming out from their retainers and I taped a half dollar on the bob. The clock is fast about 3 or 4 minutes an hour. The pendulum must weight about 2 pounds. Anybody have any suggestions on how to slow this clock down? IMG_0074.jpg

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
if it's running fast the overall/effective length of the pendulum is too short.

if the movement has a specific model number some of the folks here can tell you how long it's supposed to be.

if you could provide photos of the suspension spring and how the pendulum is attached, we might be able to tell you how to deal with the issue by making the suspension spring longer to increase the overall/effective length.

Tim Orr

National Membership Chair
Director
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 27, 2008
Boulder CO
Country
Region
Good evening, Naif!

If you've got the adjustment all the way to the bottom, have added weight, and are still gaining – as you say – 3 to 4 minutes per hour, there's something seriously wrong. Seriously.

Can you pull the dial and hands off and just examine the running of the clock? That's a huge amount of gain. It's almost as though, like happens occasionally with 400-day clocks, the escape wheel is skipping teeth.

Has the clock been moved recently? Damaged? Bumped? The good news is that with this much gain, when you find the problem, it will probably be obvious.

Best regards!

Tim Orr

Reactions: S_Owsley

Ed O'Brien

NAWCC Member
Nov 30, 2009
Winter Park, FL
Country
Is the pendulum/movement combination correct? There is a number on the back of the movement that tells the proper length, and if this one is short that would be the problem.

Naif Baidoon

Nov 24, 2019
Country
The movement has 114cm stamped on it for the pendulum length, I measured close to 116cm for the current pendulum. I have a picture of the suspension spring attached. I will try to see if the escapement wheel is skipping but that will take a little time to get to.
Thanks for the feedback.

IMG_0076.jpg

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
My first thought is that the pendulum has been switched from a standard wood pendulum to a Lyre pendulum. You always have to increase the length dramatically with such a change because of all the weight added above the bob. It looks like you have room for a longer one if you want to spend the money. You might be able to sell the old one ;)
Edit: I see that you can buy new pendulum necks too. If you experiment with lengthening your current pendulum, you could probably get one the right length, and replace your existing one fairly inexpensively. I'm guessing you're going to need about 3 to six inches longer.

Last edited:

Naif Baidoon

Nov 24, 2019
Country
My first thought is that the pendulum has been switched from a standard wood pendulum to a Lyre pendulum. You always have to increase the length dramatically with such a change because of all the weight added above the bob. It looks like you have room for a longer one if you want to spend the money. You might be able to sell the old one ;)
Edit: I see that you can buy new pendulum necks too. If you experiment with lengthening your current pendulum, you could probably get one the right length, and replace your existing one fairly inexpensively. I'm guessing you're going to need about 3 to six inches longer.
Thanks Shutterbug, I am going to shop around and see if there is someway to lengthen the pendulum.

Naif Baidoon

Nov 24, 2019
Country
Thanks Shutterbug, I am going to shop around and see if there is someway to lengthen the pendulum.
Based on a chart from Ronell Clock the bob is the correct diameter I can pick up an 1 1/2" if I change out the neck. I think its worth a shot.

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
I'm curious as to the history of the clock. Was this clock recently acquired and you are discovering this issue? Has it been running for 10 years in the same location then all of the sudden this issue appeared? :?|

Tim Orr

Director
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 27, 2008
Boulder CO
Country
Region
Good afternoon, Naif!

Again, I doubt very much that a clock that is gaining 3 to 4 minutes PER HOUR is going to be fixed by replacing a suspension spring or adjusting the pendulum length. If the pendulum is original to the clock and the suspension spring is original to the clock, something else is probably wrong.

If it truly is gaining that much, you're going to need to find out why.

Best regards!

Tim

NEW65

Nov 17, 2010
United Kingdom
Country
Region
Or maybe the pendulum has been dropped and most of the threaded bar has broken off? I see this all the time on longcase clocks with lyre pendulums. Check the end of the bar to see any obvious damage.

Naif Baidoon

Nov 24, 2019
Country
Is the pendulum/movement combination correct? There is a number on the back of the movement that tells the proper length, and if this one is short that would be the problem.
From a chart I looked at the pendulum appears to be the correct one.

Naif Baidoon

Nov 24, 2019
Country
Does the pendulum have a healthy swing? And extremely short swing could account for this. If you have a timetrax clock timer the best rate should be 3600 beats per hour.
Its not a extremely short swing but I would not call it a healthy swing. Is there a way to adjust the swing ?

Naif Baidoon

Nov 24, 2019
Country
Or maybe the pendulum has been dropped and most of the threaded bar has broken off? I see this all the time on longcase clocks with lyre pendulums. Check the end of the bar to see any obvious damage.
No damage to thread. Is it possible to replace the rod with the thread on it and get a longer rod ? Any idea who may have one?

Naif Baidoon

Nov 24, 2019
Country
Good afternoon, Naif!

Again, I doubt very much that a clock that is gaining 3 to 4 minutes PER HOUR is going to be fixed by replacing a suspension spring or adjusting the pendulum length. If the pendulum is original to the clock and the suspension spring is original to the clock, something else is probably wrong.

If it truly is gaining that much, you're going to need to find out why.

Best regards!

Tim
Thanks Tim, Not sure what is going on. I bought this clock used and it came up from Florida to Michigan. The long trip in a truck may have done something to it.

Naif Baidoon

Nov 24, 2019
Country
I'm curious as to the history of the clock. Was this clock recently acquired and you are discovering this issue? Has it been running for 10 years in the same location then all of the sudden this issue appeared? :?|
Clock was purchased used. The clock came from Florida to Michigan the trip may have done something to it,

Rod Schaffter

Mar 20, 2020
Country
Did you do anything to the verge? If the anchor is too high it will operate as a recoil escapement with little swing and run very fast.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Probably what Rod just said.

The tips of the escape wheel teeth are dropping onto the impulse faces of the pallets. They should always drop into the dead upper pallet faces.

Usually the pallet arbor can be lowered slightly to get the correct locking but sometimes the escape wheel arbor needs to be rebushed, or a worn/damaged escape wheel replaced.

Assuming a UW03, the last one I repaired back around Thanksgiving, had a 4 1/2" pendulum swing at the tip.

Willie X

Naif Baidoon

Nov 24, 2019
Country
Good evening, Naif!

If you've got the adjustment all the way to the bottom, have added weight, and are still gaining – as you say – 3 to 4 minutes per hour, there's something seriously wrong. Seriously.

Can you pull the dial and hands off and just examine the running of the clock? That's a huge amount of gain. It's almost as though, like happens occasionally with 400-day clocks, the escape wheel is skipping teeth.

Has the clock been moved recently? Damaged? Bumped? The good news is that with this much gain, when you find the problem, it will probably be obvious.

Best regards!

Tim Orr
I don't see it skipping any teeth but take a look at this picture. The pendulum is attached to the suspension spring doesn't this movement need a leader ? IMG_0101.jpg

Rod Schaffter

Mar 20, 2020
Country
I don't see it skipping any teeth but take a look at this picture. The pendulum is attached to the suspension spring doesn't this movement need a leader ?
Holy Smokes, Batman!! No wonder it runs fast! :eek:

Yes, should be a leader; I can't believe it runs. Mark Butterworth can sell you one, I'm sure.....

Tim Orr

Director
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 27, 2008
Boulder CO
Country
Region
Good evening, Naif!

Actually, I'm kinda amazed it runs at all. I have seen a pendulum leader detached from the crutch before, but usually, the clock just stops. Must be so far out of beat that the crutch touches the leader all the time.

A proper leader would have a keyhole-shaped opening in it that would admit the end of the crutch-like arm (with the small nail-head-shaped end) that's touching the present pendulum leader.

Looks to me as though someone removed the correct leader and substituted what's there now. So that strongly suggests the clock is not in original condition. Pendulum assembly could have been replaced.

As has been suggested, you may be able to get a replacement leader and make the thing work.

Best regards!

Tim

Reactions: Naif Baidoon

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
The leader will have a slot in it, a bit like an old key hole. The post on the crutch needs to go through that slot. When you get a proper leader on it, I think all will be good. This one might be what you need.

Reactions: Naif Baidoon

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Naif,

To get the right leader you will need to identify the movement. It's a Hermle movement but double check your ID number that "653" is probably a '053'.

Also, check the date code. If the movement is over 25 years old, it will likely need serious repair or replacement. They just quit at around 25 years, that's their design service life.

Willie X

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Correction, cable drive would be an '853'. '053' would be a chain drive. There is no 653 that I know of:???: Merritt's P-234 me thinks. Willie X

514 Poplar Street
Columbia, PA 17512

Phone: 717-684-8261

Contact the Webmaster for perceived copyright infringement (DMCA Registration Number 1010287).

Copyright © National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Inc (A 501c3 non-profit corporation). All Rights Reserved.

The NAWCC is dedicated to providing association services, promoting interest in and encouraging the collecting of clocks and watches including disseminating knowledge of the same.