Canada's Peacetower Clock

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by Sooth, May 17, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have long been fascinated with Canada's Peacetower clock. I have a replica of the clock made in paper (with gravity escapement), which came in a kit called the "All Paper Clock". For a long time I thought that the paper clock I had was an accurate copy of the one atop the Peacetower.

Then one summer, when I was at a metal foundry shop, I saw that they also carried a copy of the PEacetower clock made in cast iron, but they had the "wrong" hands on it (the hands did not match the ones on my paper clock). I pointed out this detail to the lady who runs the shop, and she assured me that her version was an *exact replica* of the actual clock dial and hands.

So I was puzzled over who was right. Finding a clear photo of the dial and hands of this clock proved to be nearly impossible. I searched all over the web, and eventually gave up.

However, just this past weekend, I had a visit from a clock friend from out of town, who had a very good camera. We visited Parliament Hill, and he was able to snap a closeup photo of the dial and hands. I can now finally settle this little dispute. As it turns out, the lady had the correct hands, and the ones on the paper clock are incorrect.

Hopefully you will still enjoy the photos.

44.jpg

45.jpg