Canada/Hamilton Clock Company

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Barry Armstrong, Apr 19, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Barry Armstrong

Barry Armstrong Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 3, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I just thought I'd post some of my Hamilton Clock Company (Hamilton Ont.) and Canada Clock Company clocks that I've collected.

094A5698.jpg 094A5701.jpg 094A5702.jpg 094A5703.jpg 094A5704.jpg 094A5705.jpg 094A5706.jpg 094A5707.jpg 094A5708.jpg 094A5709.jpg 094A5710.jpg 094A5712.jpg 094A5713.jpg 094A5714.jpg 094A5715.jpg 094A5716.jpg

D.th.munroe and PatH like this.
  2. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Most impressive!! Thanks for sharing.

You don't indicate if you are Canadian but I would assume that is the case? You can select a flag to display with your avatar, if you so wish.

Though living south of the US/Canadian border, I have had an interest in Canadian "home grown" clocks.

My imperfect understanding is that many 19th century shelf clocks with Canadian labels were US products. Some did have locally made cases but incorporated American made works and other components. The clocks you post I believe were wholly Canadian made and represent some of the earlier attempts to create a Canadian clock industry. Clock making was an important industry and part of a nation's identity? I guess for me not surprised that the effort started soon after the passage of the British N. American Act on 7/1867?

I will contribute my one and only:

canada clock co. 1.JPG

A variant of the Metropolitan cottage clock by the Canada Clock Co.

I really like that frosted tablet:

canada clock co. 2.JPG

With all due respect, one of the cheapest clocks I've seen. The original dial is cardboard..and badly retouched to boot! Note that the person who did it made the XII a VII!

I have an in-depth posting about this clock and additional information and links accessible here:

"Oh Canada"

Again, nice collection and thanks for sharing.

RM

3. Andy Dervan

Andy Dervan Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jane Varkaris and Jim Connell co-authored an excellent book about these companies. Unfortunately the companies could not survive vs. vast output of clocks produced in US.

Andy Dervan

4. Barry Armstrong

NAWCC Member

Feb 3, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I'm currently working on a Canada Clock model named "Tilley".after a Canadian politician who proposed a surtax on clocks made outside of Canada in 1870's allowing a Canadian Clock industry to commence. Even with this tax in place clock manufacturing only survived from 1872-1884 when the Canada Clock Company Ltd of Hamilton closed it's doors for good. Clocks weren't mass produced in Canada after that until the Arthur Pequegnat Clock Company (1904–1941) opened for business. The Tilley is a mess and it's going to take me a while to get it together. I'll post pictures when it is presentable.

5. Barry Armstrong

NAWCC Member

Feb 3, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    DSC03995.JPG

Oh I forgot one.....Here is my City of Halifax.

6. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very impressive collection Barry, i really like it. I have a few Canadian clocks but not many. Nice clock you have there RM, i wonder why tin was not used instead of cardboard for a dial.

7. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Yes, that is an impressive collection. I would assume it required much persistence and patience to put together.

Thanks for your kind comment.

Not sure about the rationale behind the choice of dial material in my clock. Cost? Availability? Have the basic dial printed and easily cut it to fit any number of different models?

Of note, I have had a couple of American cottage/small shelf clocks with cardboard dials, too. One that comes to mind was a little Ingraham.

RM

8. Barry Armstrong

NAWCC Member

Feb 3, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    RM Would you have a picture of the movement and the interior of your clock?

9. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Yes. Go to the link I provided above, "Oh Canada", which is to my original MB posting about the clock.

There you will find pix of the movement and what was left of the label. Within that posting there are other links and references as well.

RM

10. Barry Armstrong

NAWCC Member

Feb 3, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Another one I forgot to include is a Canada Clock Regulator time only
    DSC03915.JPG

11. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am a fan of these short-lived companies and have only 2. Your collection is very impressive.

Ron

PatH likes this.
  12. Barry Armstrong

NAWCC Member

Feb 3, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Last post until I get something new.

First is The City of London model. It's the smallest of the bunch.

IMG_4219.jpg

Now are a OG representing each each of the Canada/Hamilton Clock history. First is an OG from the first iteration of Canada Clock. The company start in Whitby Ontario (just east of Toronto) in 1872 declaring bankruptcy in 1876.

IMG_4212.jpg

I'm not sure how original this clock is, but the molding and latch are unique.

When the Canada Clock Company died in 1876, a group of business men from Hamilton Ontario bought all the the equipment and shipped it to Hamilton starting the Hamilton Clock Company. It was in business from 1876 to 1882 when it to had to declare bankruptcy. Here is an OG and label shot of a clock produced during this period. There are other clocks from the Hamilton period posted above in this link.

IMG_4216.jpg IMG_4217.jpg

Refinancing allowed a new company, the Canada Clock Ltd to reopen the plant in 1882 and started to produced clocks. Alas it was doomed to the same issues as the previous two company's and declared bankruptcy in 1886. The last of the truly Made in Canada clocks until the Pequegnat Clock opened in Berlin Ontario. Below I've include a Canada Clock Ltd OG and label picture.
    IMG_4213.jpg IMG_4215.jpg

The last clock for now was written up by Jim Connell in the July/August Bulletin 2013. It was the only piece of advertising he found (he wrote the definitive book on these clock company's) with regards to the Hamilton Clock Company. It is an OG that he restored. I acquired from his estate at a local auction.

IMG_4211.jpg

PatH and Rockin Ronnie like this.
  13. Barry Armstrong

NAWCC Member

Feb 3, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I have a question for the mass. The first clock in the second row has a nice colourful tablet. I have a number of Canada Clocks were the tablet has been broken in the past, and a plain piece of glass has replaced it. Is there a method where I can scan an old colourful tablet and reproduce that image on another piece of glass?

14. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice collection Barry. I just have a 30 hour ogee from that maker. Will get to restoring it one day.

15. Andy Dervan

Andy Dervan Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Unfortunately the answer is no.

The glasses were decorated in two ways (always on the reverse - back side):

Simple stencil design decorations - very typical that was used on vast majority of shelf clocks produced in 1890s

Decorative stencil that received some hand touch up coloring

If you check the various clock repair supply houses: Timesavers or Merritts. Check if they have any reproduction stencil kits.

Andy Dervan

16. Barry Armstrong

NAWCC Member

Feb 3, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Has anyone approach a Digital Glass Printing facility to see if they could print a scanned tablet? And if they could, how were the results? If they can print logos on glass, why couldn't we scan a tablet using a flat bed scanner, touch it up and/or enhance the image using Photoshop, and print it onto another piece of glass. You actually find some old glass to make the result more realistic. If it cost say $50 per sheet I think it would be worth it say for a 10 sheet production.

17. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Interesting idea.

When I first read your question, my thought was to scan a photo and print onto a transparent sheet which could then be attached to the back of the glass.

RM

18. woodlawndon

woodlawndon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice collection Barry. Would you have any pictures of the movements by any chance?

Attached is a picture of my Hamilton Octagon Prize. It runs great and keeps perfect time, I run it regularly.

I approached a digital glass printing company to do just what you're suggesting. At first they told me they could do it no problem, but when we started to get into it, I had to supply the file to them in a specific program. Alas I didn't have the required application to do it and that's where it ended for me.
    Don

70542174-66EE-40C7-A745-593DC2B78928_1_105_c.jpeg

97B90127-1898-41A4-A69F-6BB8652469F0_1_201_a.jpeg

19. Barry Armstrong

NAWCC Member

Feb 3, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Nice clock. It has the same tablet as the third clock in the first row. My clock is missing hands. I'll get around to finding a pair in the near future. I don't have any movement pictures, is there something you're looking for and I'll make sure I take a picture showing what you're interested in.

Do you remember what format file the digital printer needed?

20. woodlawndon

woodlawndon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sorry, I don't remember the file format Barry. I don't think it was anything obscure, I think he was just using Photoshop Pro but it was something I didn't have. I suspect if I went back after this lockdown is over he might be more inclined to help as I'm sure business has been suffering badly.
    Don

21. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think some online vendors like Shutterfly can print your photo on glass. There are also individuals who sell vintage or repro tablets on online auction sites. I have not seen or used any of these, so am not advocating the use - merely exploring possible options.

22. Barry Armstrong

NAWCC Member

Feb 3, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Pat. I am looking for a supplier that can reproduce an image on glass locally. The Canada Clock Company used a local glass company in producing their tablets in the 1870-80's so the look they have isn't common to any other manufacturer. Most repros available are to American Clock manufacturers specifications and rightly so, because the largest market is for these clocks. So I'll continue my quest.

23. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    I especially like the etched tablets that were used. They seemed to use them later than the etched and ground tablets one finds in American clocks circa 1840-50, or thereabouts.

RM

24. Barry Armstrong

NAWCC Member

Feb 3, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I saved this one to last. It is the Ontario model of the Canada Clock Company. It came in a couple of versions. One with a full base and this one that is suppose to be mounted on an accompanying shelf (it's missing).

IMG_4457.JPG

PatH likes this.
  25. klokwiz

klokwiz Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2009
    WRENCH
    Annapolis, MD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Barry, glad you showed a label I always find them most interesting. Very impressive collection. Intriguing photo presentation on first post, "leaning tower of Canada?" thanks! Joe.