Can you top this?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by gleber, Sep 8, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Okay, let's hear your best (or worst) clock story. Winner gets bragging rights. I wish I had one to start it off.

Tom

2. woodlawndon

woodlawndon Registered User

Jan 18, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    OK, I'll start because my story is not the "best" but was fun for me. It happened just last week. I found a local Kijiji ad last week that advertised a grandfather clock for $10. Of course I responded. When I went to see it, I found a ragged, young woman holding a 1 year old boy in her arms, a two year old boy running wild and a huge dog barking and running around the house. The poor woman was holding down a big fort.

She explained that she had gotten the clock from her father a few years ago and it had never worked. The two year old boy who looked like a handful had apparently taken to start to climb inside the grandfather clock and the mother was paranoid it was going to fall down with her child inside; she wanted it out of her house immediately.

I bought the clock with thanks and took it away. Once home I found it full of marbles, cheerios and scrabble tiles. It's not the best of clocks, it's an Abel Cottery model made by the New England Clock Co with a Hermle movement about 1975. But I really like it and will post pics when I finish cleaning all the cereal out of it. I felt sorry for the woman but she was very strong and knew what she wanted and it wasn't the clock. She also stated that she grew up with clocks with her father and loved them but they didn't work with a young family. She was pleased when I said I would clean and return the clock to working again.

I will always think of that young fella climbing in the clock whenever I hear it chiming.

3. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    OK, I was in the clock tower, 7 stories up, working on an old
    S-T 42" x 4 dial with a modern Simplex electric drive.
    I heard something rustling on the floor above, where the bell was, and thought it was just some pigeons. It's dark in this tower with the only light coming in through the opened dial access doors.

Here comes someone down the ladder!!!

He was all tattered and was mumbling something about "vertigo", scared th s*** out of me. He walked slowly right by me and disappeared down the ladder. I remember glancing down the ladders and when he went through the scuttle hole to the 5th floor, I was breathing again and called the office on my cell. They called the police and I slowly and cautiously made my way down the tower and to the office. The police was there I and gave them a report on what had happened. No one else had seen this guy but the police said he did fit the description of one of the homeless people that roamed this area. The church secretary sent their maintence man out to buy a lock & hasp for the main tower entrance ceiling hatch and she also hired an off duty police to watch things for a week or so.

Willie X

4. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ha Ha, first I thought I was reading a great thriller novel. Then I realized I was watching Scooby Doo http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Franchise/ScoobyDoo!

I love it. Thanks for sharing.

Tom

5. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for kicking this off. Sometimes ya gotta do what's best for the clock. Hopefully when her kids are grown, she'll find a clock and reminisce about her dad.

Tom

6. Time After Time

Time After Time Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Retired General Dentist
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is not really my story, and it certainly doesn't top Willie's, but I think some professional clock repairers might relate.

We live in a relatively small Borough in South Central Pennsylvania. It has a history of Manufacturing with a few Wealthy Families because the labor market rate/wages were always keep so low. The result is that the working class Pennsylvania Dutch-German population had/have a regional reputation for being very "frugal". Anyway, when we purchased our first Tall Case Clock I knew next to nothing about them and so we hired a local Clock Shop Owner to come to our home and set it up for us. When Steve arrived at our front door, he had a wide-eyed nervous look of someone in a hurry. I invited him in, showed him our clock and went through some social pleasantries as he went right to work. I found out that he had recently located his business in the area. As he finished his call by setting the moon dial and time (using his cellphone) he complimented the quality of our 5-tube Herschede as compared to modern movements but said he kind of tired of the Westminster Chime. I found that strange in that, if nothing else, the Westminster melody should be like the sound of money to him. As I handed him his check, I asked how was business and how he liked the area. He said he wasn't happy with his move. He told me that folks were "cheap" and recounted a recent house call where the home/clock owner asked him, at the door, what his charges would be. When he told them (again I assume), they called him a "Thief" and shut the door in his face! ;-{

Now he wasn't cheap, but he certainly didn't show up with a mask and a loot bag! :chuckling: