• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Can you tell me about this new grandfather

Darrmann39

NAWCC Member
Dec 6, 2020
Country
I got this at an auction for $40. Couldn't pass it up as I'm intrigued by wood movements although this is only my second one. Sold as not running although after hanging the pendulum suspension in the correct place and making one crutch adjustment it's running.
Any info provided would be awesome yr.? Maker?

20210827_133224.jpg 20210827_133333.jpg 20210827_133326.jpg 20210827_133314.jpg 20210827_133318.jpg 20210827_133235.jpg 20210827_132703.jpg 20210827_132142.jpg 20210827_133217.jpg 20210827_131820.jpg 20210827_131812.jpg 20210827_131804.jpg 20210827_131756.jpg 20210827_131749.jpg

FDelGreco

Moore NWCM Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2000
Novelty, OH
Country
Region
To Tom McIntyre and the moderators: This is an excellent example of why we should limit attachments to thumbnails. Can you imagine the space this would have taken up if the poster had used full size images?

Frank

Darrmann39

NAWCC Member
Dec 6, 2020
Country
To Tom McIntyre and the moderators: This is an excellent example of why we should limit attachments to thumbnails. Can you imagine the space this would have taken up if the poster had used full size images?

Frank
Sorry I annoyed you by my pics. I've seen many many many posts saying the more pics the better.
You have any input on the clock? Or you just here to complain

Reactions: bobby2003

FDelGreco

Moore NWCM Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2000
Novelty, OH
Country
Region
I don't mind your thumbnail pics at all. There is a debate going on in the forum help area because some posters post their pics full size instead of thumbnails like you've done. So the reader has to scroll down many pages. You've done it the preferred way so I thank you.

You've got a nice clock -- can't beat the price. Just make sure you find hands that are correct for the clock.

Frank

Reactions: Darrmann39

Darrmann39

NAWCC Member
Dec 6, 2020
Country
I don't mind your thumbnail pics at all. There is a debate going on in the forum help area because some posters post their pics full size instead of thumbnails like you've done. So the reader has to scroll down many pages. You've done it the preferred way so I thank you.

You've got a nice clock -- can't beat the price. Just make sure you find hands that are correct for the clock.

Frank
Thanks
Your saying those aren't? The hands. They seem to be lead maybe pewter at least the minute hand. Very very soft.
Plus the hour hand is square. Unlike the usual round and pretty darn big. If it's not the correct hands it's custom made

20210827_193109.jpg

Last edited:

ToddT

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Country
Region
I was watching this one, too. However, had I brought it home it would have taken several days to smooth things out with the spouse. I have enough open-ended projects right now!

I'll be interested to see what others think. I like the wood works and the face. The hour hand seemed thicker and out-of-proportion to the minute hand, so I wasn't sure they were a pair though both look old to me.

I found the case interesting. My suspicion is that it was homemade, and I'm not sure of the age. In the auction pics the finish looked fairly modern (< 75 years). The backboard appears to be one-piece and somewhat old, and the hood didn't appear to be proportioned appropriately over the arch.

I'm no expert. I've been reading these boards and learning for the last couple of years and have several clocks "in progress". I went back and forth as to whether this would be a clock I'd be interested in or not. The price was fantastic! I'm glad for the opportunity to learn more about this one!

Reactions: Darrmann39

Darrmann39

NAWCC Member
Dec 6, 2020
Country
I was watching this one, too. However, had I brought it home it would have taken several days to smooth things out with the spouse. I have enough open-ended projects right now!

I'll be interested to see what others think. I like the wood works and the face. The hour hand seemed thicker and out-of-proportion to the minute hand, so I wasn't sure they were a pair though both look old to me.

I found the case interesting. My suspicion is that it was homemade, and I'm not sure of the age. In the auction pics the finish looked fairly modern (< 75 years). The backboard appears to be one-piece and somewhat old, and the hood didn't appear to be proportioned appropriately over the arch.

I'm no expert. I've been reading these boards and learning for the last couple of years and have several clocks "in progress". I went back and forth as to whether this would be a clock I'd be interested in or not. The price was fantastic! I'm glad for the opportunity to learn more about this one!
It wasn't much of a project. It's been running since I set it up. The case does look very nice, but I have a 1795 that the finish is just as nice so I don't take that as a sign of not being old. It actually has tongue and peg construction so that points to old but not 100%.
I'm not sure what you mean by hood and arch.

FDelGreco

Moore NWCM Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2000
Novelty, OH
Country
Region
Although I like woodworks clocks -- even made one (see my avatar) -- I think the hands are a replacement. They should probably look more like these:

hands.jpg
Typically steel (blued, though these are not) or brass.

Frank

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
I got this at an auction for $40. Couldn't pass it up as I'm intrigued by wood movements although this is only my second one. Sold as not running although after hanging the pendulum suspension in the correct place and making one crutch adjustment it's running.
Any info provided would be awesome yr.? Maker?

View attachment 669341 View attachment 669342 View attachment 669343 View attachment 669344 View attachment 669345 View attachment 669346 View attachment 669347 View attachment 669348 View attachment 669349 View attachment 669350 View attachment 669351 View attachment 669352 View attachment 669353 View attachment 669354
Tom McIntire, Mr. President, fellow Americans, ladies and gentlemen, and all ships at sea...sorry, couldn't resist.

Not sure who made it. Those knowledgeable about such specifics will hopefully along to comment.

Pretty dial.

Tin can weights look right, at least to me.

Hands original? I think not. However, the hands shown in a later posting are more of what I would associate with a ww shelf clock. Again, the more well versed will hopefully come along and offer better information.

Now, once again, I am going to be a major party pooper. Just my opinions based upon your excellent pix. Feel free to refute or disagree.

The case, at best, is old but has been very heavily reworked, and not in an accurate nor beneficial fashion. Especially true of the hood which just isn't the way it should be. The feet are missing. The case has been badly skinned. I suspect might have once been painted, maybe even grain painted. Most people who are truly serious about American antique furniture would not consider that a nice finish. The paint job on the inside of the back board is not right.

Not meant to be mean or discouraging, but instructive.

RM

Darrmann39

NAWCC Member
Dec 6, 2020
Country
Tom McIntire, Mr. President, fellow Americans, ladies and gentlemen, and all ships at sea...sorry, couldn't resist.

Not sure who made it. Those knowledgeable about such specifics will hopefully along to comment.

Pretty dial.

Tin can weights look right, at least to me.

Hands original? I think not. However, the hands shown in a later posting are more of what I would associate with a ww shelf clock. Again, the more well versed will hopefully come along and offer better information.

Now, once again, I am going to be a major party pooper. Just my opinions based upon your excellent pix. Feel free to refute or disagree.

The case, at best, is old but has been very heavily reworked, and not in an accurate nor beneficial fashion. Especially true of the hood which just isn't the way it should be. The feet are missing. The case has been badly skinned. I suspect might have once been painted, maybe even grain painted. Most people who are truly serious about American antique furniture would not consider that a nice finish. The paint job on the inside of the back board is not right.

Not meant to be mean or discouraging, but instructive.

RM
I'll have to look. Doesn't look like it should have feet looking at the bottom molding doesn't seem like it would look right.
I'm a master finish carpenter of 35 yrs. There's nothing even close to grain painted on this.and there's actually no verneer on this at all. Yes annoyingly someone painted the inside, you can tell it was done after making because it's only where they can reach just above and below door.
Can you explain more why you think the hood isn't right
I disagree. I'm not going to get up and post pics right now but the way it sits in a notch in the crown it sits on and the side pegs into the backboard look original. But I'd like to hear why you think not.
Does anyone have an idea of the age of movement itself?
Runs great bronze bell and all

Last edited:

Darrmann39

NAWCC Member
Dec 6, 2020
Country
So let's say the hood wasn't made with the bottom. What do you think it looked like? I can build anything from scratch if I want to.
Pics?

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
I'll have to look. Doesn't look like it should have feet looking at the bottom molding doesn't seem like it would look right.
I'm a master finish carpenter of 35 yrs. There's nothing even close to grain painted on this.and there's actually no verneer on this at all. Yes annoyingly someone painted the inside, you can tell it was done after making because it's only where they can reach just above and below door.
Can you explain more why you think the hood isn't right
I disagree. I'm not going to get up and post pics right now but the way it sits in a notch in the crown it sits on and the side pegs into the backboard look original. But I'd like to hear why you think not.
Does anyone have an idea of the age of movement itself?
Runs great bronze bell and all
So let's say the hood wasn't made with the bottom. What do you think it looked like? I can build anything from scratch if I want to.
Pics?
How do I know?

Years of experience and having looked @ quite a few clocks that were well preserved in their original state.

Certainly, there is much that I do not know and examples that didn't follow the norm. Maybe yours is one of those.

Do your own research. Available to you are Bulletins and examples on the Forums and the internet.

Good luck.

RM

Darrmann39

NAWCC Member
Dec 6, 2020
Country
How do I know?

Years of experience and having looked @ quite a few clocks that were well preserved in their original state.

Certainly, there is much that I do not know and examples that didn't follow the norm. Maybe yours is one of those.

Do your own research. Available to you are Bulletins and examples on the Forums and the internet.

Good luck.

RM
Ok, that's cool. I never said "how do you know"
I asked you to explain why. Big difference

ToddT

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Country
Region
My comment on the hood only had to do with the proportions, not on whether or not this was the correct hood for the clock. Had I been designing this I would have made the width over the arch closer to the same as the width on the sides and bottom of the dial. That's all.

Tom Vaughn

Feb 10, 2018
Country
This clock was made by William Leavenworth at Waterbury Connecticut around 1806-1810. The minute hand is an original and the hour hand is a home-made interpretation. These Leavenworth clocks work incredibly well once properly cleaned and serviced. Out of all the wooden movement clocks I have worked on, these Leavenworth ones seldom have any issues.

This clock is attributed to Leavenworth for multiple reasons:
-the two upper plate posts, a third protruding from the dial into the front plate
-the calendar mechanism using an additional wheel mounted to the front plate and another on the dial
-the original minute hand, only used by Leavenworth
-the use of milled teeth as opposed to sawn teeth

The bonnet on the case is a clear modern replacement, as noted by others. You can reach out to the American Clock and Watch Museum in Bristol to find great plans for a copy in most any style.
You should put a proper hour hand on it... they are available through multiple sources, myself included. Leavenworth was the only manufacturer who used this style hand, making his works remarkably easy to identify without even seeing the movement- an original would benefit this clock in that manner.
Nice find... my first wooden movement clock was a William Leavenworth.
Best,
-Tom

IMG_7545 (1).JPG

Reactions: Jim DuBois

Darrmann39

NAWCC Member
Dec 6, 2020
Country
This clock was made by William Leavenworth at Waterbury Connecticut around 1806-1810. The minute hand is an original and the hour hand is a home-made interpretation. These Leavenworth clocks work incredibly well once properly cleaned and serviced. Out of all the wooden movement clocks I have worked on, these Leavenworth ones seldom have any issues.

This clock is attributed to Leavenworth for multiple reasons:
-the two upper plate posts, a third protruding from the dial into the front plate
-the calendar mechanism using an additional wheel mounted to the front plate and another on the dial
-the original minute hand, only used by Leavenworth
-the use of milled teeth as opposed to sawn teeth

The bonnet on the case is a clear modern replacement, as noted by others. You can reach out to the American Clock and Watch Museum in Bristol to find great plans for a copy in most any style.
You should put a proper hour hand on it... they are available through multiple sources, myself included. Leavenworth was the only manufacturer who used this style hand, making his works remarkably easy to identify without even seeing the movement- an original would benefit this clock in that manner.
Nice find... my first wooden movement clock was a William Leavenworth.
Best,
-Tom

View attachment 669789
Thank you very much

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
S1987m
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update