Can you help me identify this clock??

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Don K., Apr 24, 2005.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Don K.

Don K. Guest

2. Don K.

Don K. Guest

3. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wow. That is a beutiful grandfather clock.

I'm no expert, but I can confirm a few things for you. The clock is definitely 1830's or possibly older. The dial is beautifully hand painted, with the original hands.

It'm probably English, or might also be early American. I don't know the name of the maker, but hopefully someone on here cand identify it for you.

Thanks for sharing.

4. Missy

Missy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 27, 2004
    Female
    Ms.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Don, isn't that the maker's name and town on the dial? It looks like Sam'l Hoff or Huff or may be Hoffman since the dial is flaking. Also looks like ---fin, S.C. I couldn't find a town in S.C. close to that. Have you done any genealogy search on the net? Since it has been in your family for that long, it may have been made by your gggfather. Genealogy is fasinating.

Missy

5. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    It's Samuel Hoffard, Berlin, Somerset County, Pa.

1801-1848

Ralph

6. Don K.

Don K. Guest

Ralph,

You were exactly correct. I was working on the clock's bell tonight... removed it and found two names including Samuel Hoffard, the date, 1839 and Berlin S.C. Amazing. This clock runs like a champ today, 166 years later!

Thanks, Ralph

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ralph:
    It's Samuel Hoffard, Berlin, Somerset County, Pa.

1801-1848

Ralph </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

7. rwestbrook

rwestbrook New Member

Jun 16, 2013
    My great, great etc. grandfather evidently lived across the street from Hoffard in Berlin. My ancestor was an undertaker and in that capacity made coffins, but he built at least one grandfather clock case for a Hoffard timepiece. What was the other name you found in your clock? Thanks.

8. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    This thread is over 8 years old, and Don K. is no longer an active user of the message board. Your chances of receiving a reply do not look good.