Can you help identify this cottage clock?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by zyx123, Nov 8, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. zyx123

zyx123 Registered User

Jun 18, 2011
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hello,

I am trying to identify this cottage clock maker, I remember that this trademark come up on the MB but I cannot find it.
    Please help identify and possibly date the clock

Thanks
    Sharon

IMG_20191108_093429.jpg IMG_20191108_094740.jpg IMG_20191108_094752_1.jpg

lpbp likes this.
  2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    The movement is by the German firm Philipp Haas & Sohne (1867-1935 in St. Georgen. I do not recognize this particular label. Perhaps someone else does. However, it could, I suppose, be a fictitious firm. The German firms often copied American style clocks, including cases, movements, and labels. They were trying to regain European markets (largely English) that had been to a great extent taken over by American clock manufacturers. Thus, they attempted to pass off their wares as American. I would put this some where around 1890 +/- a few years.

lpbp likes this.
  3. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    #3 Steven Thornberry, Nov 8, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    And, in fact, it did, in the following thread. (Sorry it took so long to find.) It may be worth noting the differences in the two labels as well as the samenesses. Sharon's has the words "Trade Mark" at the top and the words "[One] Day Time" at the bottom. The trademark in the linked thread has "Schutz Marke" (= "Trademark") at the bottom. Different target markets?

German Clock

The movement there was also pronounced a Haas, though it stirred some slight disagreement. Nonetheless, I attach for comparison, a picture of the movement I have in a cottage clock with an Uhrenfabrik Teutonia label (a Haas trademark). I apologize for the glare on the movement, but it's the only picture I have.

Haas Cottage Clock Mvmt.jpg Haas Cottage Clock Label.jpg Haas Cottage Clock.jpg

4. zyx123

zyx123 Registered User

Jun 18, 2011
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you Steven for the information and link.
    I hope I will find more information in the future and possibly identify the trademark.

Sharon