• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Can Weight Specs Be Changed For a Given Model?

Tony Ambruso

Dec 2, 2005
www.azclocks.com
I'm working on a Urgos model 03039B, a 5-tube, westminster chime, tall case clock with cables.

It just needed cleaning and some repairs to get the chimes working again, which prompted the cleaning. The second wheel chime bushing (rear plate) needed replacement. The bushing looked good except for a strange gouge at the six o'clock position on the inside of the rear plate. I replaced it and everything is fine. I don't have any pictures of the before and after, but it was a sizable gouge in an otherwise symmetrical bushing. So the clock runs and runs very well.

During an extended testing period - customer didn't want me to deliver until after she moved late next week. I examined the weights that came with the clock. Here's what I found:

Strike Weight = 8.75 lbs.
Time Weight = 8.75 lbs.
Chime Weight = 11.5 lbs.

Currently, I am running the clock with some of my shop weights, which are:

Strike Weight = 7.75 lbs.
Time Weight = 7.75 lbs.
Chime Weight = 9.75 lbs.

When I compared the clock's stock weights to Urgos Weight Reference Chart, which I verified its accuracy against what is on Butterworth's website, I found that the required weights for this model are:

Strike Weight = 7.75 lbs.
Time Weight = 7.75 lbs.
Chime Weight = 13.25 lbs.

Notice that the clock's strike & time weights are 1 pound heavier than the reference chart requires. Also, the clock's chime weight is 1.75 pounds lighter than required by the reference chart.

This clock is owned by a widow. It is fairly modern, only about 15 years old, I think. I believe it has never been serviced.

Because one weight shell was slightly damaged, all three weight shells were replaced with high quality German shells. While replacing the shells, I noted that all three weight sets had auxiliary weights in them, meaning more than one weight in each shell, but each shell is filled to the top. When I saw this, I didn't get the impression that these were not factory supplied weights, because of the neat fit. That may be a wrong assumption, but this woman is VERY particular about her clock.

Urgos was bought out by Hermle, and Hermle replaced the escapement (anchor and escape wheel) with one of theirs.

All this yakking from me leads to a question: Is it possible that the weight requirements changed when Hermle bought out Urgos and changed the escapement on this model? I know that would have no affect upon the chime weight requirement, but I thought maybe they updated it for some technical reason. Is it possible that these are the correct weights, and the spec was different when produced by Urgos? If I am looking at the current Urgos weight chart, might it not apply to this particular model?

The owner assures me no one changed these weights.

I know that mentioning weights should bring Scottie out.

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Certainly it did but only to opine that this just reeks of BUTTERWORTH - "All Things URGOS, Keiniger, and Hermle"

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Tony, it is not impossible that the store selling the clock may have mixed up the weights from 2 different clocks, possibly to put more attractive weight shells with one of them. But for it to run on 3 1/2 pounds less than the recommended weight for the chime shows how much overweight the specs are. Let us know what Mark has to say:?|

MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Jul 4, 2009
Muscatine, Iowa 52761
Country
Region
There is a notation on the site that the time weight should match the strike if a wood stick pendulum is used, but should match the chime (for a rod chime) for a lyre pendulum. IF your customers clock has a lyre pendulum then the 8.75 lb would be correct for a Westminster rod chime. Certainly the heavier weight will not hurt it if it is a wood stick. These are min. specs.

The chime weight should be 13.25 lb but if those work for you, no problem. It will possibly stop earilier than othewise once wear starts showing up.

An earlier point is correct in that the manufacturer who supplied most of the weights in the past claims about 40% were wrong simply because the store sent the wrong ones out with the clock or in some cases the finished clock manufacturer underweighted the clock from the original specs to save money. For this reason this is usually our first question in a weight driven clock problem. The fact that they are original does not always make them correct.

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Just me and most here know what that means.
Now that "All Things Hermle" has counselled - if I KNEW the weights present are not correct, I would determine MY weight preference and I would do that ala LAB - by using overswing as a gauge, timeside, and perhaps speed of strike and chime for those trains. All these being preference only once minima have been established.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alison1125
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit