• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

Can someonw help me understand, date and/or value this Gordon & Bougin Pocket Watch?

Cal-to-NH

New User
Jan 14, 2022
Country
Hi Folks. Going through my deceased Uncle's items. I found a Gold Pocket Watch - "Gordon & Bougin Boston"

I found a few numbers and I have a picture of what's written on the works. Does anyone have any info on this watch?

20220114_115432.jpg 20220114_120040.jpg 20220114_121711.jpg 20220114_121740.jpg 20220114_121745.jpg

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
welcome to the NAWCC forum!

check this out I don't have time now but
I'm sure someone will come bye.

Rob

Cal-to-NH

New User
Jan 14, 2022
Country
Thanks Rob.

Does anyone else have anything. I think this watch company can't be found on-line. Were there retailers that just put their name on the dial of other manufacturers? Does the Case serial number tell anything about the quality of the case? The watch is 2 1/8 inches in diameter and heavy - I'm hoping it's gold?

Also, real stupid question - does the escapement information speak to quality? What does Grade 64 mean?

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
For a small fee Illinois and other watch companies would put the jeweler or retailer or wholesaler's name and city on the dial and
movement. Read more about them in our Private Label Watch wiki.

Crescent Watch Case Co. | NAWCC Forums

does the escapement information speak to quality?
This would have been a watch that would have been accepted by some RR
lines for service. Called a Standard watch aka a RR Watch.

Rob

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
Your case is gold-filled. This means layers of karat gold fused over a base metal, generally brass. If you check the encyclopedia area of the forum, you'll see that the Crescent Watch Case Company only made gold-filled. Sorry if that disappoints you a bit. It's still a nice watch. Enjoy.

Reactions: Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel

Just Rick!
NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2018
Pittsburgh pa
Country
Region
Hello Cal-to-NH,
Ill try to break it down for you, and will repeat some of what was already said because it will be easier.

You have a watch made by the Illinois Watch Company

The watch dates to a little before the turn of the century. PWDB says 1897

The watch movement is 18 sized, this means the actual mechanism (not the case) measures 1.8"

It is an 18 size, model 6. This is the overall design of this particular Illinois movement. It is openfaced (winds at 12) and lever set.

Lever set means in order to set the watch, you must open the front bezel and pull out the little lever in the upper right of the dial. Then rotate the crown to move the hands.

It was a fairly popular movement with an estimated production of 19,630 according to PWDB

It has 17 jewels. this is considered full jeweled with all of the important moving parts running in jeweled bearings instead of metal to metal contact.

It has a fast train, which is horological jargon for its beat rate. Yours ticks at 18,000 beats per hour.

The grade of the watch is 64. this is Illinois classification for a particular movement taking into consideration all of the features, jeweling, size, model, adjustments... everything

The Watch Case is made by the Crescent Watch Case Company, as Rob pointed out. It is gold filled. This means that the material used to make the case is a sheet of brass sandwitched in between two thinner sheets of gold.. This makes a stronger, more economical case than solid gold. In the article Rob linked, your case is noted to have a "20 year warranty". These year markings were used as a quality measure. Theoretically, if the gold wore through to the underlying brass in under 20 years, the company would replace the case. Your case is on the better end of gold filled quality with these warranties ranging from 5-25 to permanent in some cases.

The name on your dial and movement will be a jeweler most likely. Quite a few people here like to collect these jeweler labeled watches here, and it will be fun to see if someone recognizes the name.
Nice watch and have a good day! Please ask any questions you have and hopefully I didn't just confuse things

Cal-to-NH

New User
Jan 14, 2022
Country
Hello Cal-to-NH,
Ill try to break it down for you, and will repeat some of what was already said because it will be easier.

You have a watch made by the Illinois Watch Company

The watch dates to a little before the turn of the century. PWDB says 1897

The watch movement is 18 sized, this means the actual mechanism (not the case) measures 1.8"

It is an 18 size, model 6. This is the overall design of this particular Illinois movement. It is openfaced (winds at 12) and lever set.

Lever set means in order to set the watch, you must open the front bezel and pull out the little lever in the upper right of the dial. Then rotate the crown to move the hands.

It was a fairly popular movement with an estimated production of 19,630 according to PWDB

It has 17 jewels. this is considered full jeweled with all of the important moving parts running in jeweled bearings instead of metal to metal contact.

It has a fast train, which is horological jargon for its beat rate. Yours ticks at 18,000 beats per hour.

The grade of the watch is 64. this is Illinois classification for a particular movement taking into consideration all of the features, jeweling, size, model, adjustments... everything

The Watch Case is made by the Crescent Watch Case Company, as Rob pointed out. It is gold filled. This means that the material used to make the case is a sheet of brass sandwitched in between two thinner sheets of gold.. This makes a stronger, more economical case than solid gold. In the article Rob linked, your case is noted to have a "20 year warranty". These year markings were used as a quality measure. Theoretically, if the gold wore through to the underlying brass in under 20 years, the company would replace the case. Your case is on the better end of gold filled quality with these warranties ranging from 5-25 to permanent in some cases.

The name on your dial and movement will be a jeweler most likely. Quite a few people here like to collect these jeweler labeled watches here, and it will be fun to see if someone recognizes the name.
Nice watch and have a good day! Please ask any questions you have and hopefully I didn't just confuse things

Cal-to-NH

New User
Jan 14, 2022
Country
Thank you so much, Rick

This is an AMAZING amount of information. I surely don't know enough to be disappointed - I am actually very excited! As far as I'm concerned this is a piece of art. This has been enormously helpful. You guys are TOPS !

John Cote

Director
NAWCC Member
Aug 26, 2000
Midwest USA
www.johncotephotography.com
Country
Region
Thank you so much, Rick

This is an AMAZING amount of information. I surely don't know enough to be disappointed - I am actually very excited! As far as I'm concerned this is a piece of art. This has been enormously helpful. You guys are TOPS !
This is what the NAWCC exist for. Glad the experts here were able to help...and you are right. This watch is a piece of art...but a piece of American history too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Genda
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller