American Can someone tell me about this clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Dells, Nov 19, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dells

Dells Registered User

Oct 18, 2019
    Male
    Coach builder
    In the cotswolds
    Country Flag:
    Hi all
    Can someone please tell me more about this clock ?
    I received it from my mother after my father died as it belonged to him and I seem to remember it being in my Grandfather’s house but not sure .
    I know it is American and made by Jerome & Co but that is all, apart from knowing it’s not very valuable but to me it is as it was my father’s.
    I had it serviced about 5 years ago and it works fine keeping very good time although we don’t have it chiming as it’s to loud.
    Thanks in advance Dell

4E9E166D-F4FA-402A-9C01-81A17CB38BF5.jpeg 04E37A5E-2279-4626-B81C-441E35461E03.jpeg 6898E2E4-E4E9-4291-B2A1-7478A5EAD0D3.jpeg

2. lpbp

lpbp Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You have correctly identified your clock as a Jerome & Co.. It is an OGEE, which is derived from the OG curve on the case, or "S" curve. It is thirty hour time and strike, and still collectable in great shape as yours is. I am not home so don't have my books, but someone should be along to date it. Enjoy and cherish your family heirloom.

Dells likes this.
  3. Dells

Dells Registered User

Oct 18, 2019
    Male
    Coach builder
    In the cotswolds
    Country Flag:
    So can no body tell me the age of my clock then?.

4. claussclocks

claussclocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's hard to date exactly but based on the label in your clock it was made no earlier than 1895. Jerome went through several bankruptcies and name changes in his history. The label for your clock was introduced in 1895

5. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Jerome & Co. was a trade name for the new Haven Clock Co., which was organized in 1853. Inter alia, New Haven supplied movements and parts to Chauncey Jerome Just looking at the label, and so far as I can tell from what I can see, it looks very much like labels printed by Goddard. Examples of such labels are shown at this website, and are dated 1870-72. Is there a printer's name at the bottom of the label. I don't see one, but the picture is dark in some areas.

May we also see the movement? That might provide a clue.

6. Dells

Dells Registered User

Oct 18, 2019
    Male
    Coach builder
    In the cotswolds
    Country Flag:
    Looking at the website you sent a link to it was printed by Goddard1870-72 the one on the right the printing is complete and still readable.
    Sorry forgot to say no printers name.
    Thanks Dell

7. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    So, there is no printer's name on your label, correct?

8. Jerome collector

Jerome collector Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Geologist, US Army Corps of Engineers
    Omaha, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not sure how I missed this one. Based on the border pattern, the label does appear to have been printed by Goddard, even if there is no printer's line on it. If memory serves, F.L. Goddard was in business from the late-1860s to 1873. He died in 1873 at a young age (in his early 20s, I think). The factory depicted on the label was built in 1866, after the predecessor factory (parts dating back to Chauncey Jerome's original factory) was destroyed in a fire. The factory complex underwent significant expansions starting in the 1880s, and labels from that period show a factory complex occupying two city blocks.
    Mike

PatH and Steven Thornberry like this.