Can someone please help me with info about my pocket watch I found

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by SanMarinoKristen, Jul 23, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SanMarinoKristen

SanMarinoKristen New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Hello Everyone,

My name is Kristen
    My Grand-Mother passed away and I was helping my Mom clean out a closet and we found a Pocket Watch.

I will try to decribe the best I can.

The outside box said J. Forrester & Co.

The pocket watch is Silver and the Inside Is Gold It says Barnby & Rust,

the Word Hull is also inside

along with the #53009

It is also has a Key

It has 3 symbols one is a lion, 2nd looks like a coat of arms, 3rd is a fancy L I think

2. EmmaR

EmmaR Registered User

Maybe you could post some pictures, Kristen? then I am sure someone will be able to help you out..
    *EMMA*

3. Jerry Matthews

Jerry Matthews Registered User

Sep 20, 2005
    Retired
    Sussex, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The three symbols are an English hallmark. The lion is the mark for sterling silver; what you say is a coat of arms sounds like the town mark for Chester, and if it is Chester, the fancy L could be 1849-50 (It could also be 1911-12, but you wouldn't find a key-wind watch made that late.)

If you can manage a clear close-up photo of the hallmark I can tell you for sure.

Hull is a city in the north of England. Bishop Barnby was a watchmaker at Market Place, Hull from about 1834-51; for the next seven years the business was Barnby & Son, and in 1858 it became Barnby & Rust. The last Mr Rust retired in 1937, but the business continued as a jewellery shop right up until 1995.

I don't know anything about J Forrester & Co. Possibly it was just a box your grandmother used to store the watch.

Jerry

4. SanMarinoKristen

SanMarinoKristen New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Thank-You for the Info I really appreciate it.

Kristen

I will send pictures soon