Can someone identify this Ridgeway clock?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by giantsnzr, Apr 10, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. giantsnzr

giantsnzr New Member

Apr 10, 2017
    Country Flag:
    View attachment 339681
    I am trying to help a friend. I have looked and have not been able to find anything.

2. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jul 3, 2016
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Usually on the inside of the lower door, or sometimes on the back of the clock, will be a model name or number. It is often either a little plaque or a black stenciled number.

3. Robert Gift

Robert Gift Registered User

Nov 12, 2012
    Male
    Tree service "Branch Manager". Medical courier
    Denver, Colorado
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sorry that I cannot help. Looks wonderful! Not pictured in my little pamphlet - which does not list model, anyway.
    Did someone build on to the clock?
    What caused the bright spot? Not reflection from head-on photo flash.

4. giantsnzr

giantsnzr New Member

Apr 10, 2017
    Country Flag:
    The light was the owner with a flash light trying to help. When they asked me to help them, I thought I would be able to easily find it on the web. I didn't look at it closely but it looked like it was all original. I will get a better pic of it next time. Hopefully the info is on the inside door, moving the clock to see the back could be a project. Did any Ridgeway clocks come with the side panels and the bottom brass rails?

5. giantsnzr

giantsnzr New Member

Apr 10, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Found it. I contacted a local dealer at its a ridgeway halltree grandfather clock. IF you google it there is one for sale for 2500.00.

6. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Registered User

Jun 19, 2006
    Currently unemployed - with a degree in Creative W
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello, giantsnzr.

Welcome to the message board!

Your Ridgeway clock is model 9009, known as the "Broadmoor Hall Clock I." Attached below is a scan of the page from the 1997 Ridgeway catalog.

Also, an identical clock was discussed in this thread back in May 2016:

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?133447-Ridgeway-Clock-info

Hope this helps!
    :)
    John

Attached Files:

7. Robert Gift

Nov 12, 2012
    Male
    Denver, Colorado
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: New creation by Ridgeway?

Than you, SS, for your page.
    Is this a new creation by Ridgeway or based upon something earlier?

Thank you.

8. Spaceman Spiff

Jun 19, 2006
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: New creation by Ridgeway?

Not quite sure what you mean by "new creation."
    But since the model number begins with the first two digits "90" it means that this model was first released in 1990. If the owner is able to find a serial number in the clock, then the first two digits of that number will likely indicate when this particular clock was manufactured (either 1990 or up until a few years afterward). The fact that it's still listed in the 1997 catalog means it was produced at least from 1990-1997.
    Hope this helps.
    John

9. George Nelson

George Nelson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Retired
    Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Did I read the catalog page correctly in that the pendulum bob is lighted​? :confused:

How would that have been accomplished? Is the bob heavy enough to overcome the interference of even very thin wire or is some other method used? I've never seen a lighted bob before, but then again, my interests are in much older clocks and this feature might be common nowadays. I'd love to find out how it's done!

George

10. Robert Gift

Nov 12, 2012
    Male
    Denver, Colorado
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: Cloakclock

Were there other such clocks or did Ridgeway invent this "cloakclock" ?

Recently I.nstalled a 5-Watt clear nightlight bulb on the wood support behind the face of ouRidgeway Diana grandmother clock.
    It shows off the brass chains, weights and pendulum. It also nicely illuminates the entryway Diana is supervising.
    We have become accustomed to the gentle light. When it burned out, Diana seemed too dark.

I wish that I could find a 1-Watt 120-volt mini lamp to place where the clock's crown and top meet.
    It would warmly light the wall and ceiling of the entryway.

11. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    These are called 'curio' clocks. They have been popular for around 40 years.
    The lighted pendulum has a small lamp inside the bob with two small wires that go up to the hook. The hook as a phenoic wafer for insulation as does the coresponding leader part of the hook. Another wire pair continues up the leader and makes a sweeping loop over the top post and over to the low voltage transformer. Many also have a lamp behind the moon dial which had many small perforations to simulate the night sky. This lighting is understated and pretty nice.
    Willie X

12. George Nelson

George Nelson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Retired
    Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ahhh, WillieX! Thanks so much for the lesson! I'll bet it is quite attractive in a darkened room, as would be the lighted stars in the moon dial. Some people are so creative!

Many thanks,

George

13. Spaceman Spiff

Jun 19, 2006
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is not a curio clock. Curio clocks have enclosed cabinets on either side of the clock. It's hard to see from the catalog page I posted, but the sides of this one are NOT enclosed. If you go to the other thread and look at the pictures in this post...

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?133447-Ridgeway-Clock-info&p=1031998&viewfull=1#post1031998

...you can see the sides better and tell that it's not a curio clock. That's why this one is called a "hall clock," because it's similar to a "hall tree."

Regards,
    John

14. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005
    John is quite right. This clock has hooks for coats and hats and space for umbrellas and canes. If you read the text on the photo he posted it tells you of that.

Much more uncommon than a curio clock, I think.

JTD

15. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    I've seen one of those in one of the local furniture stores. I don't think they ever sold it.
    Willie X

16. Robert Gift

Nov 12, 2012
    Male
    Denver, Colorado
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would dislike a light in the pendulum bob.

A light bulb in the corner of the case would be much more attractive to me.

If we could find a clock with moon, I had planned to make pinpoint holes in the disk to simulate stars.
    Would use a LED bulb to illuminate paper behind the disk.
    Interesting that others have done this!