Can someone identify make/model of this lathe

Adam Zimmerman

Jan 3, 2010
Brechin, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Good day,

This is my Christmas present to myself! I am having trouble locating a make or model. I would love to find an old manual or any info on how I should oil and maintain this lathe and motor. The T rest says it is a Favorite Swiss made, but when I look up Favorite Lathes on the net I can't seem to find this one.
I am really looking forward to learning how to use this lathe. Any suggestions on books/DVD's would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks again for this wonderful forum!
All the best
Adam

uncletom

Feb 23, 2006
Country
Region
go to Google,type in Favorite Lathe and voila ,there it is!! I wish it was mine LOL ,I've been looking for a favorite,though they are hard to find accessories for as the won't take most 8mm WW tools

Attachments

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
I can recommend, "The Watchmaker's Lathe", a book by "Ward Goodrich" on all rudiments of lathe nomenclature, use, mfrs., etc.

Smudgy

May 20, 2003
Country
Region
Jendritzki and Perkins also make good lathe books.

Pete Cronos

NAWCC Silver Member
Nov 25, 2002
Jonesboro, Arkansas
Country
Region
I have a Favorite No. 2 model single pedestal type.
It has the lever feed tailstock. A nice unit.
I have been searching for a book on it with no results.
Found a couple that showd the lathe but no details.
Not positive what oil to use in the headstock bearings.
Also not sure how to determine the amount of oil that is in the bearing cavity. I tried filling it to the top and if you do it leaks around the center shaft.
Any suggesions appreciated
Pete

Per G

Jan 9, 2007
Pete:

I copied this from British Horological Institute hints & tips,
http://www.bhi.co.uk/aHints/lathadj.html

"A good grade of sewing machine oil is suitable.

The seals of these lathes are not really more than light dust shields. Oil the lathe frequently. Try to get the bearing to take oil as it is revolving so that you seem to be over oiling. You are really flushing the bearings, and you will have to wipe up the excess oil after oiling.

Always loosen the belt on a lathe as soon as you have finished with it for the moment. If a belt is left tight on a lathe it pulls the spindle towards the countershaft or motor, and this squeezes the oil out of the bearing at that spot. When you start the lathe later, it takes several revolutions of the spindle to bring oil to that spot, so that for a few turns there is a portion of the bearing and the spindle running against each other without oil."

A small wad of cotton wool in the oil cup helps to keep grit out of the bearings

FYI, Favorite #3 is a ball bearing lathe and should be greased, not oiled.

Per

Dushan Grujich

Jun 20, 2003
Bondi
geocities.ws
Country
Region
...Not positive what oil to use in the headstock bearings.
Also not sure how to determine the amount of oil that is in the bearing cavity. I tried filling it to the top and if you do it leaks around the center shaft.
Good Day Pete,

I too have Favorite II lathe. I use it as my basic watchmaking lathe.

Until few months ago I had a web presentation showing the lathe at Geoicities, unfortunately Yahoo closed down all Geocities serves recently. I have included several images showing the lathe and some of the accessories which have come with it.

Nevertheless if You want to know anything about it ask I shall do my best to answer.

As for the oil and oiling the headstock, I will agree with Per, use plenty of oil and let it flush the cone bearings, let the oil flow for as long as there is any dirt in it, wipe the excess off with a kleenex tissue or cotton wool.

Cheers

Dushan

Attachments

Dushan Grujich

Jun 20, 2003
Bondi
geocities.ws
Country
Region
If you check on the www.lathes.co.uk site hosted by the very knowledgable Tony Griffiths all will be revealed.
Good Day John,

Indeed there is lots of interesting info presented on the site You mention, however there is very little practical information which one can apply in using the lathe.

The most usable info available nowadays can be found in the book "The Modern Watchmaker's Lathe and How to Use it" by Archie Perkins. In his work Archie Perkins gives complete information on how to use the watchmaker's lathe as well as how to restore and maintain it.

I am only saying that that it is the most complete work when compared to other books on lathes written by de Carle, Goodrich, Levin, Jendritzki, Gazeley and others.

If one can afford them then it is best to own and read all of the books on lathes by named authors and not stop there, of course.

Cheers

Dushan

Last edited:
Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment