Can someone help me with forum searches?

Rick Hufnagel

Just Rick!
NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2018
Pittsburgh pa
Country
Region
Sorry for doubling up the posts here today but this may be an obvious answer to someone more fluent with computer related things.

When I enter a search, say I search for "Hampden Studley" or just "Railway".

It seems to give me a chronological list starting with the newest threads that have either word in it.

I know there are things going on with the search function and I'm not trying to start anything negative about it... I was just wondering if there way a different way of entering the searches to help nail down both words over the past couple decades of great threads buried in the forums here! Can I search exact phrase or change the order in which the results are shown to most relevant instead of most recent?

Thanks for any help!

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
have you tried the advanced search

Rob

Rick Hufnagel

Just Rick!
NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2018
Pittsburgh pa
Country
Region
Yes it acts the same way. Instead of relevance it just lists everything containing one of the words chronologically from newest to oldest. Sometimes it seems to randomly choose what words it wants to use.

Is there a way to do an exact phrase?

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
OK I agree the search sucks sorry management I do agree. We needed to shut down
the search we had because of errors(as I understand I could be wrong).

Some people say try using google to search

"In a Google search, type site: followed by the domain and extension, like site:lifewire.com. Then, include your search, and press Enter. To search by domain extension, type site: followed by the extension, like site:. gov followed by your search, and press Enter"

Rob

Reactions: Rick Hufnagel

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
I searched for Hampden Studley enclosing that phrase in quotation marks, thus: "Hampden Studley". I first limited my search to the APW forum and received three hits. Using the same search terms for the Forums generally (Everywhere), I received four hits, including this thread. Of course, I can't say how effective that procedure would be for everything you search for, and I did not search for Hampden Studley without the quotation marks.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
I searched for Hampden Studley enclosing that phrase in quotation marks, thus: "Hampden Studley". I first limited my search to the APW forum and received three hits. Using the same search terms for the Forums generally (Everywhere), I received four hits, including this thread. Of course, I can't say how effective that procedure would be for everything you search for, and I did not search for Hampden Studley without the quotation marks.
Searching "Hampden" "Studley" (Note quotes around each word) in APW brought up several more than three hits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leslie
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Watch Inspectors by Kent