Can I use the minute and hour wheels from this Waltham 1894 ?

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by A.F.W., Aug 4, 2009.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. A.F.W.

A.F.W. Registered User

May 11, 2005
    Country Flag:
    as replacements for my Riverside Maximus ?
    Thanks for your help.
    http://www.cm-antiques.com/photogallery/may10/DSCN0151.JPG
    30.jpg

2. Kent

Kent Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Silver Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    You could, but it wouldn't be correct.

3. A.F.W.

A.F.W. Registered User

May 11, 2005
    Country Flag:
    What is the difference between them ?

4. Bryan Eyring

Bryan Eyring Registered User

Dec 11, 2007
    Male
    Director of Manufacturing, Aerospace
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    dam pattern

5. Kent

Kent Registered User

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    #5 Kent, Aug 4, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
    Oops!

I thought that you were asking about the winding wheels - my mistake!

6. Lorne

Lorne Registered User

Jul 31, 2008
    By the position of the index, I think you've got more problems than just the minute and hour wheels...

Lorne

7. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    AFW - the minute and hour wheel are probably exchangeable and will function, but perhaps not as smoothly. Also, the finish on the donor parts is probably brass whereas the Maximus had nickel-finished wheels.

8. A.F.W.

A.F.W. Registered User

May 11, 2005
    Country Flag:
    thanks. Aren't those sitting under the dial and cannot be seen anyway ?

9. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes - the difference would only be visible to a person working on the watch. The lower grade parts should be disclosed if the watch is sold.

10. Kent

Kent Registered User

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    If nobody will see it, does that make it O.K. to do?

11. Lorne

Lorne Registered User

Jul 31, 2008
    If your intention is to fully restore a watch for its historical value, no, it isn't. If your intention is to have the watch in running condition, yes, it is.

Lorne

12. A.F.W.

A.F.W. Registered User

May 11, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Yes, it is O.K. to do if it makes my watch usable again.

13. A.F.W.

A.F.W. Registered User

May 11, 2005
    Country Flag:
    The right part is not easy to come by, therefore I decided to use what will work. The watchmaker could not make it run right after he serviced the watch and told me that the reason may be the hour and minute wheels.
    Sorry but for me I do not see a need to have ALL the original parts. If the next owner does he or she can remedy the situation to their liking.

14. Erik_H

Erik_H Registered User

Nov 9, 2008
    I am sure you will let the next owner know that this watch is no longer original. But what happens when he, after getting a good deal from you, sells it on? Then we have a watered down watch where no-one can tell whether it is original or not. Is this good? I think not.

15. A.F.W.

A.F.W. Registered User

May 11, 2005
    Country Flag:
    #15 A.F.W., Aug 7, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
    I cannot be responsible for what the next guy chooses to disclose, can you after you sold a watch ?
    Can any of you gents be sure that the watches you bought and own have all the original parts as left the factory or replaced down the road with exact used or N.O.S. parts ?? After all we are dealing with watches that are often close to 100 years old. Many repairs and service during such a long time...
    Please lets be realistic here. I do not care what you do with your watches, why should I be told what to do or not ?

16. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Registered User

Nov 29, 2000
    Manager of Engineering Programs
    Washington state
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As an aside, I've tried replacing minute and hour wheels in the past with mismatched parts from other watches. It never worked. I can't say for sure whether the wheels from a donor watch of the same brand and size would fare any better than my past experiments, but I've simply learned to expect that switching hour and minute wheels is unlikely to succeed.

So if you're ever tempted to buy a bag of loose minute and hour wheels from a parts seller, save your money. You'll have a bag of worthless wheels, suitable only for making horological art (if that).

- Greg

17. Greg Frauenhoff

Greg Frauenhoff Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    A. F. W.,

Hour and minute wheels, provided they are from the same make (e. g. Waltham) and model (e. g. 1894 model), are generally a very trivial repair and readily interchangeble. I'm no watchmaker, but have had no trouble finding and fitting the correct wheels when necessary. Rarely it may be necessary to open the hole of either slightly using a broach. Watchmakers did (and do) this kind of repair all the time. Occasionally, a specific model used more than one type of wheel as regards the tooth count, making it somewhat more difficult the locate the correct wheel. If you have an old material catalog you can probably find out what the factory part numbers are for the wheels you need.

As for the finish, as has already been noted, the cheaper grades of Waltham usually had brass wheels while the better ones normally had ones with a nickeled finish. There is also some variation in the nickeled finish wheels as sometimes the centers are recessed and polished (on the wheels for finer grades).

Greg

18. A.F.W.

A.F.W. Registered User

May 11, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Thank you, very informative :)