Can I remove weights on Cuckoo Clock that control the cuckoo and music?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Renate, Apr 19, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Renate

Renate Registered User

Apr 18, 2017
    Country Flag:
    I have an old Black Forest cuckoo clock that we just put a new movement in.
    It belonged to my grandparents, and I've never had one before.

It has no switch on it to turn off the music and cuckoo since it's so old. Can I just remove the weights at night that control those two things so we aren't disturbed and then put them carefully back on in the morning? Or is there another idea?

Thank you!
    Renate

2. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jul 3, 2016
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That really does not work very well on some of those clocks because the hour hand and the strike count get out of synch. But what you can do is to stop the pendulum at say 8 PM and start it swinging again at 8AM - or whatever time you choose 12 hours later. If you forget and start it later in the morning you can still advance the minute hand, wait for the strike and music at each step and set the proper time. Can you post a picture of the new movement you just put into the clock? Some of the new movements do have a "silent" lever on them. If your new movement has that feature then it might be possible to put a small rod out the bottom of the clock to turn it off and on.

3. Renate

Renate Registered User

Apr 18, 2017
    Country Flag:
    That was my second idea. Unfortunately, I can't get a pic of the movement (clock is back at the shop since the water wheel isn't turning properly). But originally, the owner of the clock shop said there is no way to switch it off (and that's when we thought he said to either not wind those chains or take off those weights...can't remember exactly what he said.)

Thank you.

4. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jul 3, 2016
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There are two basic kinds of movements - "count wheel" and "rack and snail". If it is a count wheel it will get out of synch - but those usually have a wire or little door on the side to get them back in synch manually. If it is rack and snail it will get back in synch pretty much on its own. Ask the shop if it is a rack and snail movement.

5. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    While it's in the shop get them to add the little cut-off feature that THT mentioned. If you have a replacement movementit will have this feature, or it can be easily added.
    Willie X

6. Renate

Renate Registered User

Apr 18, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Okeedok. Thank you!!!!

7. Renate

Renate Registered User

Apr 18, 2017
    Country Flag:
  8. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    If you push in that little spring loaded shaft, just below the upper right post nut, the cuckoo will be disabled. A small wood stick/block could probably be placed (semi-permanently) between the corner of the whistle and this shaft to stop the cuckoo. This shaft pushes the strike flirt foward and completely clear of the cam that activates it.
    It is easy to install the factory cam that is made for this purpose. It takes 3 or 4 small special parts depending on whether you want the lever through the side of the case, or a wire through the bottom of the case.
    Willie X

9. shutterbug

shutterbug Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    An easy fix was mentioned in the other thread. Stop the clock over night and start it again at the same 'time' in the morning.