Can I please get help identifying an old black forest cuckoo clock that I inherited

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Dayton Cornett, Aug 1, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dayton Cornett

Dayton Cornett New Member

Aug 1, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I do not know too much about it but I attached pictures of it

15962723189102011873390954956953.jpg 1596272339237739132225435432826.jpg 15962723656329116606286067010369.jpg 15962724063428213413277938911063.jpg

2. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the forum.

I believe that the "B100" on the backplate indicates that the movement was made by Badische Uhrenfabrik, commonly known as Baduf.

Baduf was formed circa 1889 and was in existence until the early 1980s, I believe. Others may have a better timeline of their existance,

Your clock looks to be of 1970s vintage, but this is just a guess.

I am not an expert on cuckoo clocks, so I am interested in the opinion of the experts.:)

Regards.

Dayton Cornett likes this.
  3. Dayton Cornett

Aug 1, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Awesome. I am more informed now than I was at the beginning of my inquiry I At least have an idea Of the maker on the bottom of the inside there is the number 54 in pencil that is Kind of hard to see I believe I read somewhere that if there is just to numbers that it refers to the year But I am unsure if that is the case I know absolutely nothing about vintage cuckoo clocks And as you can see it is missing a few Vital pieces and I am not one for Vintage clocks even though I find it pretty cool. Would this be something that is worth fixing up and putting up for sale or is it better off as a conversation piece on the wall left unfinished?

4. new2clocks

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I doubt a handwritten pencil marking is indicative of the year a clock was made. The meaning of the inscription is known only to the person who put it there.

Regards.

5. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Although Baduf did make cuckoo clocks towards the end of their time in business, I have never seen a Baduf logo like this letter B. I am not saying that it is not from Badische Uhrenfabrik, just that I have never seen this logo. (But there's lots of things I've never seen!).

You don't say in whether you have the weights or not, but you are certainly missing the top trims, as you know.. The movement is painfully dirty, even rusty. To overhaul it would be quite possible but would probably cost more than you would get for it. Some clock repairers don't like dealing with cuckoos. I think your clock may be a little older than 1970s but it certainly isn't a priceless antique!

If you want to sell it, you could put it on E-Bay and let it find its level. Someone might like it as a project.

JTD

Dayton Cornett likes this.
  6. Dayton Cornett

Aug 1, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you for setting me straight on that, cant always believe everything online. That 54 is the only distinct marking on the clock beside the back. Hopefully an expert will see or come across this post and help out. Thank you so much for the feedback and help you have given me so far it very much appreciated.

7. new2clocks

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #7 new2clocks, Aug 1, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    The B100, I believe, is a movement number, not a trademark. I should have been more specific. My apologies for any confusion.

I believe they have shown on the forums in the past. But, I could be wrong, as I have been more times than I wish to admit.:)

Regards.

8. Dayton Cornett

Aug 1, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Yeah it has seen better days No is missing the weights The minute hand a whistle device on the inside And I do not know enough about the Movement Mechanism to try and clean it up so I figured best left to someone else. The Paint is in surprisingly decent condition Which leads me to Ask if most were painted or Left unpainted becauseI read on the Internet that The ones that were mass produced were not painted but the earliest ones before mass production were And are more rare. But I don't like to take everything as fact until I've dug a little.

9. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Ah, I see. That might very well be.

Never heard of this - I would say the other way round. The early ones were usually plain wood. Your is a modern clock, spray painted in the factory.

JTD

10. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Based upon my limited cuckoo knowledge, I do think you have that reversed.

Seeing the 2 doors made me think at first that your clock was a cuckoo and quail clock. However, it appears that a little man pops out rather than a quail? Also note that there is a music box mounted to the inside top of the case. Makes it more interesting?

Late cuckoo's, like yours, were painted with an air brush in somewhat garish colors. Note the shallow carving. Your pix aren't clear, but it looks like the cuckoo is one piece, another feature of later clocks.

Clocks like yours were bought in large #'s by tourists and service men stationed in Germany.

Search the MB and you will find examples of some fine early cuckoos for comparison.

Here's pix of my cuckoo and quail. NOT super early nor necessarily the best but, IMCO, pretty good carving. Dates from 1910-20, so about 70 years older than yours and one can see how even since then, the form declined over time:

quail cuckoo 1.JPG quail cuckoo 3.JPG quail cuckoo 4.JPG

RM