Can I get more info on this watch?

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Gudberto Nava, Jul 6, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Gudberto Nava

Gudberto Nava Registered User

Jul 6, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I inherited this from my father when he passed away... anybody have any info on it? All I could research was that it’s tied to the 1968 Mexico Olympics . Unfortunately I don’t have the tools to open it from the back. My dad use to say all you had to do is shake it to recharge it.

thank you!

4213F185-15A7-406A-9806-26E0DFDB4A16.jpeg 4A903F05-6BCB-45B5-9BDB-DD207EA2F846.jpeg

2. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Gudberto, and welcome to the forum,

This model doesn't open from the back, it's a one-piece case and the movement can only be accessed by removing the front glass, (the crystal), which does require special tooling. It's an automatic winding mechanical movement, which winds by an internal rotor turning when the watch is worn. Unfortunately the crown appears to be missing, which has possibly allowed moisture and dirt to get inside the case and discolour the dial; there may be more damage to the movement as a result, which is a shame, because it's a good quality watch. It needs some professional attention.

Regards,

Graham

3. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well worth repair and restoration!

4. Gudberto Nava

Jul 6, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Any chance you could tell me what model this is?

5. Gudberto Nava

Jul 6, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    You think so? I do apologize, I’m not very knowledgeable when it comes to this watch... I never really asked my dad for any specific details ...

6. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It would be a great way to remember your father to have this watch restored. Great watch and well worth it.

7. Gudberto Nava

Jul 6, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    How much do you think restoring it would cost?

8. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Gudberto i dont have a clue. I had one wrist watch restored years ago, i was charged a good sum of money. Best way to find out is seek out a reputable watch repair person.

9. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not sure, but I think it's a 166.079

10. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Gudberto,

Your watch dates from the late 1960s or early 1970s. This family of Omegas is known as 'Dynamic' and was made in several variations, with a day-date dial like yours or just a date amongst them, some manually wound and some automatic, and used a range of high quality movements.

Regards,

Graham

11. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Due to the lack of crown, an empty syringe that fits tightly on the pipe, will have the air pressure capacity to pop the glass/crystal out. The movement may be removable, this may depend on first using something that fits down the pipe to push the stem back into the winding position(it should be a split stem). May also require rotating the movement to where the case clamps have a space, so the movement can drop out into a safe catching position.

12. Gudberto Nava

Jul 6, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Would it be accurate to say it was made in 1968... this is inside the box... Says Mexico 68 ... for excellence in timekeeping in the games...

503B7DD0-92FF-4F41-BCFD-08BE48166AFE.jpeg

13. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    like a gold medal on a wine bottle. Does not have to be relevant to the year the wine was bottled.

14. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Gudberto,

As roughbarked points out, it only really says that the box wasn't made before that date, (I believe the model was launched in that year), and also that there's no guarantee that the box is original to the watch, although in this instance it seems most likely that it is. Boxes, papers and certificates can and do get swapped around over the years.

If you aren't familiar with working on watches, I suggest that this isn't a good watch to begin the learning process, as just removing it from its case presents challenges, let alone diagnosing any problems with the movement.

Regards,

Graham

roughbarked likes this.
  15. PWR_family

PWR_family Registered User

Jun 5, 2016
    Male
    Retired
    West Chester, PA
    Country Flag:
    FYI -- I sold a few similar models last year. Very desirable and they brought good $$ even in non-running condition. Omega will quote you a price on line I think....based on a full service of that model. They are expensive but very predictable and reliable. 3rd partis have a hard time getting genuine parts as well. Good luck and enjoy the memories of your Dad everytime you wear it!