Can I clean a United Clock electric motor in my ultrasonic?

Keith Doster

Mar 31, 2011
Chester SC
Country
Region
I have a United clock that is working, contrary to all the nastiness and goo all over it. Maybe I should leave it alone. But is it ossible to drop one of these motors into my ultrasonic, clean it, dry it thoroughly, and start it back up??

davefr

NAWCC Member
Nov 29, 2008
Oregon
www.telechronclock.com
Country
Region
I have a United clock that is working, contrary to all the nastiness and goo all over it. Maybe I should leave it alone. But is it ossible to drop one of these motors into my ultrasonic, clean it, dry it thoroughly, and start it back up??
No, if you're talking about a "motor" you do not want the integrated coil to go in an ultrasonic cleaner. The right way to clean any motor or movement is disassembly and then decide on the cleaning/lubrication approach for each component.

Ken has done some excellent presentations on restoring various types of these motors. You can find them at the NAWCC Chapter 21 You Tube site:

When it comes to most of these electric clock motors, if you want long term reliable operation there are no shortcuts and the "devil is in the details".

Keith Doster

Mar 31, 2011
Chester SC
Country
Region
No, if you're talking about a "motor" you do not want the integrated coil to go in an ultrasonic cleaner. The right way to clean any motor or movement is disassembly and then decide on the cleaning/lubrication approach for each component.

Ken has done some excellent presentations on restoring various types of these motors. You can find them at the NAWCC Chapter 21 You Tube site:

When it comes to most of these electric clock motors, if you want long term reliable operation there are no shortcuts and the "devil is in the details".
Thank you, Kevin and Dave. You have both been very helpful! Kevin, you were so helpful that the article you referred me to illustrated the exact clock I'm repairing! Touche'!!

Reactions: Kevin W.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derek
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last book
400 day pendulums by happycusa