• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

Can anyone with newhaven open escape help out?

horologicaltribologist

Jan 9, 2022
Country
Hello everyone thank you for stopping by. I have a movement, specifically the one in the pictures, does anybody else have this same movement? Especially one that is working? I bought this movement because it matches the movements my partners in nawcc chapter meeting are working on, yet this one is incomplete and so is the one they are working on. They can't seem to figure out how it works the chapter meeting President no one over there seems to know, they said I wouldn't be able to find anybody over here that has this movement I intend to prove them wrong.

1.jpg
2.jpg 1643182743441.jpeg

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
The same manufacturer and the same movement are not really a big concern. All open escapements function the same way and with very similar parts. If you can explain what issues you are having, I'm sure we can help.

Carl Bergquist

NAWCC Member
Oct 27, 2010
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Region
The obvious problems are that the crutch is either bent almost at right angles or loose on the arbor, I see no suspension spring or leader and I see no mainsprings on either train. This could be from a New Haven statue clock, New Haven used VE movements in most of their statue clocks. The construction is a bit different than the Ansonia round VE movements but other than that it is just a time and countwheel movement. The pallet pins look to be steel and are reasonably radial to the escape wheel center. Where are you? This is not really a "rare" movement.

horologicaltribologist

Jan 9, 2022
Country
This is the movement I bought to try to suppliment the movement my partsners are working on in the class, We are in Atlanta,

The symptoms we are having are will not go into warning and cannot find a method of actuation to cause the beginning of the chimes?

The thing is we have multiple other french style and open esacpement movements even a new haven with an open escape, but a rectangular case. The method of moving into warning is a convoluted overly complex patent evasion says the president. It is so strange that even with another newhaven ipen escape the warning actuation is still a mystery.

I will be back @ chapter meeting next tuesday and I will be making some vids to better show what we have!

Weah the seller of this movement id a slapp pappy job packaging it, ears got all bet and the crutch became deformed.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
I see you are in Wisconsin, Carl. I was hoping you might be near me. I would love to attend the chapter meeting and help figure it out. I’m afraid you are a little too far away. I’m in central Louisiana.

Last edited:

horologicaltribologist

Jan 9, 2022
Country
There are some pictures on this webpage - maybe they will help?

NEW HAVEN OPEN ESCAPEMENT CLOCK MOVEMENT | #24792372 (worthpoint.com)
Thank you for searching so hard!! It took me 30 -1hr searching after my first night @ nawcc to find that one, Yeah that guy seller lives down the street actually less than 20 min away, I eBay messaged him to see if he could come down to the chapter meeting or if we could bring the movements to him and pick his brain. The way his listing was written I feel that is one of out best leads if he is willing to help even wemt so far as to email that guy asking about his buyer and seeinng if he would reach out to his buyer might sell it to us now. I think if he reads his ebay messages i think it is an amazing lead.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutch Calibre
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-