• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Can anyone tell me about this clock maker and silk suspension

Karriec123

Dec 3, 2020
Country
Hi can anyone tell me about this clock and how to do the silk suspension?

1C9A9ED7-74D9-4523-9475-F137E7BC9844.jpeg B055609D-0AB2-4B77-B665-C1BAB150D19E.jpeg 4170F714-2B9D-4451-8322-EB8F3E54A89F.jpeg image.jpg image.jpg

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
Hi and wellcome to this message board! Do You have the pendulum for Your clock? Re-attaching it will be easier if You take out the movement from the case : for this undo the two skrews that are in the 10 and 4 o´clock position of the back bezel and that hold the mvmt. with the straps ,the movement will come out via the front of the clock. Take a piece of sewing thread (doesn´t need to be silk) of about 20cm and make a double knod on one end.On top of the back plate there is a brass post protruding about 10-12 mm backwards with two little holes .Pass the thread through one hole from up to down until the knod sits firmly on the post.Then pass the thread upwards through the other hole forming a loop of ca 10-15mm to hang the pendulum on.The free rest of the thread You wind in either direction around the shaft with the thumb nut left of the suspension post.This allows fine regulation of the clock with that thumb nut by turning the latter thus lifting or lowering the pendulum.Built in the movement by re-attaching the rear bezel with the skrews.Before You tighten these skrews put the clock on a dead level plane,attach the pendulum and put it in motion.Turn the whole movement in the case apperture in verry small increments either clockwise or ccw until the "tic-toc" of the pendulum is absolutely even.Then turn the skrews firmly.
you can replace the silk thread without removing the movement using a loupe and a pair of tweezers , but it is a bit flimsy IMO. HTH
Nice clock,congrats!
Burkhard

Karriec123

Dec 3, 2020
Country
Hi and wellcome to this message board! Do You have the pendulum for Your clock? Re-attaching it will be easier if You take out the movement from the case : for this undo the two skrews that are in the 10 and 4 o´clock position of the back bezel and that hold the mvmt. with the straps ,the movement will come out via the front of the clock. Take a piece of sewing thread (doesn´t need to be silk) of about 20cm and make a double knod on one end.On top of the back plate there is a brass post protruding about 10-12 mm backwards with two little holes .Pass the thread through one hole from up to down until the knod sits firmly on the post.Then pass the thread upwards through the other hole forming a loop of ca 10-15mm to hang the pendulum on.The free rest of the thread You wind in either direction around the shaft with the thumb nut left of the suspension post.This allows fine regulation of the clock with that thumb nut by turning the latter thus lifting or lowering the pendulum.Built in the movement by re-attaching the rear bezel with the skrews.Before You tighten these skrews put the clock on a dead level plane,attach the pendulum and put it in motion.Turn the whole movement in the case apperture in verry small increments either clockwise or ccw until the "tic-toc" of the pendulum is absolutely even.Then turn the skrews firmly.
you can replace the silk thread without removing the movement using a loupe and a pair of tweezers , but it is a bit flimsy IMO. HTH
Nice clock,congrats!
Burkhard
Thank you this is so helpful!

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
The French did still use the silk suspension after 1850 but not for too long and the case of this clock is very nice quality so more likely, not the too long after. The movement has no pendulum length marking which is the rule on earlier pendule de Paris movements such as those with silk suspension so that doesn't make determining the length easy and the silk suspension is part of that length.

You don't say if you have the pendulum but as Burkhard says It is best to remove the movement. Put it on a stand to support it and sort out the pendulum length. There is no through the dial adjustment on this clock and once you put it back in its case adjusting it is a real pain.

Reactions: Curtis Brown

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
" The movement has no pendulum length marking " I see a 603 on the back plate at the typical location,and if we don´t take this for the year of manufacture :whistle: I´d guess that it means 6 pouces and 3 lignes which would make up a pendulum length of about 23cm. If the OP doesn´t have the original pendulum (?) a typical french silk suspension pendulum can be bought from the usual suppliers , tested and cut to length accordingly.
(the mark " I " before the 603 I wouldn´t take for a 1 because of the different style of the ciphers)
Burkhard

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
I took that for 1603 typically called a serial # and often found on the pendulum bob and sometimes elsewhere. At the date this clock dates my understanding is makers weren't yet marking the pendulum length on these movements and afaik the French custom of marking the pendulum length doesn't fit with 603.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nibsey
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Waltham Watches by Clint Geller