Can anyone provide any info on this pocket watch? And it works!

dawn44

New User
May 14, 2022
Country
I picked up this watch the other day at a flea market. I think I have gleaned website That it was a Swiss make but a German product? That the inscription under the back is “cylinder” meaning the type of movement? And the number of jewels used in making it? I also made sure to include clear pictures The markings on the rim of the inside cover I thought might’ve been damage from opening it up, but both markings match each other exactly so I’m thinking that’s not the case. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

D0C67500-CAEA-4131-BF18-52DCC64508CD.jpeg 150EE0A7-C40C-4D6D-92E9-3D206CDC4860.jpeg 5D45494A-BA6A-498B-8C60-6C41A7B23BD4.jpeg 5D538849-ADFA-48E0-875B-3E06CBA3D39A.jpeg EF0D3671-CA5D-4081-9CE7-AC3BED7014A5.jpeg BE2708A5-6820-490B-A520-BB5469D9E023.jpeg 624E1F84-C5C2-4679-AA2D-653F53C06E98.jpeg F4F6041E-E594-469C-A765-9220BE885412.jpeg C1A36BD6-DF55-4D41-B5F1-9CE465463CF9.jpeg 3CC8D623-F4DE-43D3-8F3E-10C9E0F5E327.jpeg

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
To have a chance to ID the movement, which admittedly is won't be easy no matter what (I'm taking it for granted that there is no name marked on it. This would not be unusual.), you'll have to provide an image of the entire movement. You show the regulator on the balance cock but nothing else.

What I can say is that it's very good that you bought the watch in running condition. The watch has a cylinder escapement, rather than the more common lever escapement, and not many present-day watchmakers work on them. Since it's running, and would probably just need a clean and oil, you shouldn't have to worry about that. Any watchmaker can service it. Still, don't be surprised if some might shy away from doing so.

I believe it would either be of Swiss or French origin. The case looks in nice shape, and may be some form of silver. However, a closer look tells me that the dust cover, at the very least, may be some form of white base metal. Any hallmarks in the case would help figure that out.

The marks are just from watchmakers in the past who were either casing the watch or servicing it. Enjoy the watch and it's tick-talk. And welcome to the message board. Cheers.

Reactions: Randy Beamer

dawn44

New User
May 14, 2022
Country
To have a chance to ID the movement, which admittedly is won't be easy no matter what (I'm taking it for granted that there is no name marked on it. This would not be unusual.), you'll have to provide an image of the entire movement. You show the regulator on the balance cock but nothing else.

What I can say is that it's very good that you bought the watch in running condition. The watch has a cylinder escapement, rather than the more common lever escapement, and not many present-day watchmakers work on them. Since it's running, and would probably just need a clean and oil, you shouldn't have to worry about that. Any watchmaker can service it. Still, don't be surprised if some might shy away from doing so.

I believe it would either be of Swiss or French origin. The case looks in nice shape, and may be some form of silver. However, a closer look tells me that the dust cover, at the very least, may be some form of white base metal. Any hallmarks in the case would help figure that out.

The marks are just from watchmakers in the past who were either casing the watch or servicing it. Enjoy the watch and it's tick-talk. And welcome to the message board. Cheers.
Thank you for the info! there are no hallmarks so I’m thinking it’s not any precious metal? It definitely tickled me to hear the ticktock!

Attachments

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
As I suspected, the movement is rather generic of the form so it's difficult to say who made it. Sorry. Sometimes there are markings under the dial, or under the bridges, but it's probably not worth it to go through the trouble of finding out. Unless, of course, you get it serviced. At that time your watchmaker can look for maker marks as he/she goes along.

The "6 rubis", are indeed the number of jewels used in making the watch. It appears that they are on the top and bottom of the balance, which would equal 4 (cap and hole on each side), and the escape wheel (just hole jewels on either side). Enjoy the watch. Cheers.

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
I uploaded your video to my gallery. I will embed it here using the tool in the editor tool bar.

You can upload videos to our gallery in your private space or you can embed them from other media sites such as Vimeo. The camera picture is the tool for the gallery. The media site selection is under the elipsis (...) in the toolbar.

If you are browsing the forum on your mobile device, you may directly attach images using the attach files link at the bottom left of the edit window.

Reactions: dawn44

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi dawn44, and welcome to the forum,
What I can say is that it's very good that you bought the watch in running condition.
Yes, it is indeed running, but only just, and it clearly needs cleaning and lubrication, because the way the balance is oscillating is very weak. You shouldn't run it any more before that's done, because old oils become sticky, attract dust and the resulting abrasive mixture can damage the fine pivots in the movement.

Regards,

Graham

Reactions: MrRoundel

dawn44

New User
May 14, 2022
Country
Hi dawn44, and welcome to the forum,

Yes, it is indeed running, but only just, and it clearly needs cleaning and lubrication, because the way the balance is oscillating is very weak. You shouldn't run it any more before that's done, because old oils become sticky, attract dust and the resulting abrasive mixture can damage the fine pivots in the movement.

Regards,

Graham
Thank you Graham!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
minister
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last page
Hard Life for Wristwatches by Roy Gardner