Can anyone help me with maker and function of this cute brass clock? German I think..

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by ClipClock, Jun 18, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ClipClock

ClipClock Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Run small business manufacturing equestrian sector
    Kent, UK
    Country Flag:
    I bought this diminutive brass clock with a fancy painted dial, the dial only measures 4.25 inches tall including the domed part.

The name looks like 'Paul Kriteker or maybe Krikeken? In Esfegg or something like that! Any ideas?

Also what do you suppose the two little arbors/holes at the top were supposed to do? They are unconnected to the movement so I guess the movement (which is old and French) is a replacement. Pic of back of dial so you can see. I just cant work out what the words mean or what they would have been for!

Its a gorgeous and ornate little clock!

Sorry the pictures arent great! Hope you can help :)

2. Andy Dervan

Andy Dervan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: Can anyone help me with maker and function of this cute brass clock? German I thi

Hello,

We need to see better movement photographs to see any details; it is out of focus and dark.

Andy

3. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Re: Can anyone help me with maker and function of this cute brass clock? German I thi

I can read most of the words on the dial, except the man's surname, as the photo is too blurred. The little subsidiary dials: the left hand one is to turn the repeat mechanism on and off. The one on the right is to turn the strike on and off.

The name on the dial is Paul XXXX but I need a better photo to read it. The word Esseg is the town which is now in Croatia. In the days of the Austro-Hungarian empire it was called Esseg in German and Osijek in Croat.

Please let's see the Paul's surname in a better photo.

Hope this helps.

JTD

4. ClipClock

NAWCC Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Kent, UK
    Country Flag:

Thanks very much for your reples

Andy pics of the movement wont help, what is in there is a time only French movement, obviously not the original!

JTD, thank you, at least I now know where it was likely made and what the subsidiary dials would have been for now! The name is quite blury, but I have taken a better picture. Hopefully it'll help....

[​IMG]

5. shimmystep

shimmystep Registered User
    Donor

Mar 5, 2012
    Cambridge, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

This makes more sense of the signature clip
    [​IMG]

6. ClipClock

NAWCC Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Kent, UK
    Country Flag:

Gosh how did you do that Shimmy? Looks like Kriteker to me?

7. shimmystep

shimmystep Registered User
    Donor

Mar 5, 2012
    Cambridge, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Just messing about on photoshop clip. I thought it looked like Paul Kraeker, not that it helps much!!

8. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

the subsidiaries both appear to silence something.

9. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005

Yes, the repeat mechanism and the strike, as I said already (post #3).

JTD

10. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005
    #10 JTD, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2017

I think you (Shimmystep) are right, although whether it is Paul Kraeker or Paul Kräcker is open to debate. I tend to think it may be Kräcker because the flowing line above the word may be intended to be a stylised Umlaut. Kraeker would be a semi-latinised spelling of the same name; the combination 'ek' in German is not usual, while 'ck' is very usual (and is indeed one combined letter in the gothic type fonts). Also 'c' in the old German fonts did not have a very pronounced curve.

It is not a common name in either version but it does exist.
    JTD

11. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

I didn't see the subsequent posts when I added that, don't know what happened there.

12. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005

No problem.

JTD

13. ClipClock

NAWCC Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Kent, UK
    Country Flag:

Thank you all again, only entry I've found that might be the man who made this clock is here, in the Museum of Slavonia, although they say he was a clockmaker in Osijek so maybe not! (Middle 2nd paragraph)

https://mso.hr/?p=3902&lang=en

Edited to say Osijek was once called Esseg so looks like we found our man with your help!

14. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005

Yes, that's the man. And I told you abut Osijek/Esseg right at the beginning, see post #3.

JTD

15. ClipClock

NAWCC Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Kent, UK
    Country Flag:

Sorry, indeed you did, I'd forgotten that bit :)

Now if I could just find the jewel that has fallen out of the platform while cleaning it things would be good :rolleyes:

16. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005

And then I'll find the very tiny screw I've just dropped on the floor..............!

JTD