Can anyone help me with a Billodes pocket watch?

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Michael Benedetto, Jan 30, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Michael Benedetto

Michael Benedetto New Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Hello all,
    I've done research on the company and I've searched this forum. I can't seem to find any information on the serial numbers ( what the numbers mean, like I can look up on an Elgin or Waltam). The watch I got at an antique auction looks pretty a. typical of them, but in good condition (porcilin face with the non-arabic numbers,fake English hallmarks, it also has some Sanskrit written on the inside, very small) I wanted to know what the case number and serial numbers mean! If someone could help me with this it would be appreciated. Also maybe some advice if it was at all possible. case number reads 2693568 8836. Also the front face closes very very tightly, the face will latch then pop back open. It feels like a spring is very tight. Is there anything I can do for this? I don't want to carry it around if I can't close the face. There was no chain to connect the key, is there any place I could get one? As far as I know the watch is completely mechanically sound, it runs and to my ears I did not hear anything wrong. I wound it at the fair (yesterday around 2) and it is still running today at 8pm. Oh and out of curiosity the tag says that it was made for the Ottoman army. I know these watches were made for the Turkish market and in the Ottoman empire...but I don't see anything about it that would be telling of being made for the army. The seller claimed it was from 1870-1890. The tag also says "Case D-55 MM Movement 42HH". I know this was a lot of info, but can anyone help me?

2. Michael Benedetto

Michael Benedetto New Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Is there anyone I can ask about info about Billodes pocket watches?

3. MartyR

MartyR Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    "Billodes" was a registered trademark of Zenith and Georges Favre-Jacot.

Can you describe the "fake English hallmarks" for us, please ?