• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Can anyone help me ID this Pocket Watch?

Renman

New User
Sep 8, 2013
Hey everyone,
I just joined this forum because I have looked everywhere but haven't found anything about my watch.
Inside the watch it says Avance/retard and I know that's french for fast/slow.
Also when you open the lid it says Doublé D'or and Fine Silver.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

Looking forward for response! :)

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
Welcome,

I have included a link to an item in the NAWCC MB Encyclopedia which discusses Swiss watches of the era of yours. There may be other items of interest to you in the Encyclopedia, in your search for information. The article is by NAWCC members Kent Singer and Tom McIntyre. To access the Encyclopedia, scroll to the top of this page and look at the mast head for ENCYCLOPEDIA. If you have other questions, please return to this post and use the REPLY button to keep all posts together.

https://mb.nawcc.org/showwiki.php?title=Generic_Swiss_Watch

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
Welcome to the NAWCC board. Since this is your first post I amassuming you know very little about your watch. It is a very common type with called a Geneva Bar movement. Geneva for its origin and bar becuase the gears are held by bar shaped "bridges". More precisely its a LeEpine caliber type IV. LePine was a maker who invented this tyle of supporting gear bearing with multiple supports instead of putting most of the bearings inot a plate. As the number indicates there are at least four basic configurations which each supplanted the one before it. Type IV's date after about 1850.

Oh, and it's a nice watch and fairly high quality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mike Mall
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-