• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Can anyone help in identifying my inherited swiss pocket watch?

Tarjei

Oct 14, 2014
Hi all!

I own a (14 karat) gold pocket watch that was given to my great-great-grandfather in Trondheim, Norway, when he retired in 1945. I can't find a brand name on it and I'd love to know the brand and age and anything about the watch. I think that it's probably a swiss watch as everything that is written on it (such as avance and retard) is in french. I have a feeling it may also be older than 1945.

The serial number from the movement of the watch is 254618. The serial number on the lid is 215224 (below that line is the number 880).

Here are some photos.

attachment.jpg attachment.jpg attachment.jpg attachment.jpg attachment.jpg attachment.jpg attachment.jpg attachment.jpg attachment.jpg attachment.jpg

Attachments

Tarjei

Oct 14, 2014
Thank's so much Enrico!

After a bit of Googling I've figured out that LVCC has to do with the number of complications, I believe?

Also, do you have any idea how old it might be, or how I could find out?

Regards,
Tarjei

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
The case design, I think, is early 1900's to around early 1920's, the movement is probably older. Probably purchased from a local jeweler and engraved, a very thoughtful gift.

Tarjei

Oct 14, 2014
Thanks for that, richiec:) A very thoughtful gift indeed!

Before I saw your answer I did some more research using Google, and found this page: http://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/swisshallmarks.html
The part about hallmarks there led me to take a closer look at the case, and by taking photos with my digital camera (I don't have a magnifying glass) I managed to see the hallmark by zooming in on a photo (included with this message). In the photo one can see that the watch has the squirrel hallmark, and what I think is an "X" above the squirrel. As the X is above and not below the squirrel, and as the 14 k percent is 585 (also seen in the picture) and not 583, then if I've understood the webpage I linked to correctly then the case would be from 1933 or later? Or have I misunderstood?

Tarjei

Oct 14, 2014
Oops, I forgot the photo: 005.jpg

Also, on the other hand, as LePhare apparently also won a gold medal at the world exhibition in 1906, but only their 1889 and 1896 medals are mention on the cover, maybe it is older than 1933 after all? *Confused*

Cary Hurt

NAWCC Member
Dec 16, 2005
Country
Region
Oops, I forgot the photo: 216535.jpg

Also, on the other hand, as LePhare apparently also won a gold medal at the world exhibition in 1906, but only their 1889 and 1896 medals are mention on the cover, maybe it is older than 1933 after all? *Confused*
I believe that the x in your photo is not the same as those referred to by my friend David in his quite excellent pages. Your watch is apparently quite earlier than 1933, as indicated by the large 56 hallmark above the 585 stamping. The 56 is the imperial Russian measure of 14k gold, 56 zlotniks. Your case also bears the German export hallmark, as well as the Swiss marks. The Russian marks are rarely seen after 1920 or so, and are much more frequently seen on watches produced prior to the Russian revolution of 1917.

Tarjei

Oct 14, 2014
Thank you Cary and Enrico :)

And thank's for that bit of history Cary, that makes this even more fun to do.

Right, and with some more research I've concluded that the German crown hallmark began being used in 1884, so then it seems like the cover at least is from between 1884 and 1917, and the movements is still of an uncertain age range? Going by richec's comment then I guess I can conclude that the cover is from about 1900-1917, and the movements from what, maybe the 1890's?

As for the X/N-issue, I'll leave that to you experts to decide, but on the page I linked to Enrico it does have an X in the picture.

eri231

Jan 13, 2012
torino italy
Country
Region
<<The small "x" in each mark is replaced by the identifier of the assay office where the item was tested and marked; "G" for Geneva, "N" for Neuchâtel, "C" for La Chaux-de-Fonds, etc.>>
regards enrico

Tarjei

Oct 14, 2014
Aha, I missed that first time. Ok, now I understand, thank's Enrico.
Regards
Tarjei

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smartin
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-