Can anyone help identify this carriage clock?

Marcos Scheuenstuhl

Jul 31, 2021
Country
I bought this carriage clock recently. Apparently, it's French, but it doesn't have any identifying marks. Would anyone have any idea about the origin (France?), approximate year of manufacture, etc?

1.jpeg 3.jpeg 4.jpeg 6.jpeg 7.jpeg 9.jpeg

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
Yes, definitely French. This is repeater carriage clock with an alarm function. I would think it was made around 1900. It is often impossible to identify the maker but some have been identified based on details. Other may be able to do so. The clock has a nice, original lever platform escapement which is a plus.

Uhralt

Reactions: Marcos Scheuenstuhl

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
I agree with what Uhralt says - although it could be a little earlier, say last quarter of the 19th century. this is nicer than average, but as so many were made by so many makers, when there is no mark it is not usually possible to say who made it, or strictly speaking who finished the clock, as the finishers bought in parts from the same set of suppliers.

Marcos Scheuenstuhl

Jul 31, 2021
Country
Uhralt and Zedric – Thanks for your answers! Let's see if any other member of the forum has anything to add, but your feedback has already been quite informative.

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
You can sometimes identify the maker from the style of the winding arrow and the one on this while not very clear from what I can make out looks quite like but not the same as that of Couaillet who were one of the largest makers of carriage clocks.

Marcos Scheuenstuhl

Jul 31, 2021
Country
Jonathan and Rough – Thanks for the comments. After reading them I went back to the clock with my camera for a more thorough investigation. Using flash and zoom I was able to take a better photo of the arrow. I also found engravings I hadn’t seen before: “Made in France”, “31” (in the bottom part of the back door), “43Y0” (behind the spring) – 2 photos, “390” (back of the case, behind barrel), “S F” (Slow Fast engraving). I also took a photo of the key. Would the same maker produce clocks with different key designs? Could any of these new photos provide an additional hint?

1- Arrow.jpeg 2- Made in France.jpeg 3- Engraving 31.jpeg 4- Engraving 43Y0 part 1.jpeg 5- Engraving 43Y0 part 2.jpeg 6- Engraving 390.jpeg 7- S F.jpeg key.jpeg

__on_the_verge

Jul 18, 2021
Country
Wow, I have a clock very similar, also with no indication of the maker.

I believe the cursive letters "S" and "F" that you say are for "slow" and "fast" actually say "L" and "F", and they are the initals of the maker of your clock - L&F Moreau.

My clock must be a different maker because my Slow Fast indicators are a different (and much more humble) font. IMG_20210712_143759_957.jpg

as for the numbers engraved on the movement, I think they were used when the movement was assembled to label the different parts.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I believe the cursive letters "S" and "F" that you say are for "slow" and "fast" actually say "L" and "F", and they are the initals of the maker of your clock - L&F Moreau.
Sorry, that is not correct. The letters are definitely 'S' (cursive 'L' was never written in that way) and 'F' and they stand for 'slow' and 'fast'.

They are not the initials of the maker.

JTD

Marcos Scheuenstuhl

Jul 31, 2021
Country
Wow, I have a clock very similar, also with no indication of the maker.

My clock must be a different maker because my Slow Fast indicators are a different (and much more humble) font. View attachment 666537

as for the numbers engraved on the movement, I think they were used when the movement was assembled to label the different parts.
Ícone Verificada pela comunidade It's S and F, as from what I understand all (most?) carriage clocks have these 2 letters indicating speed adjustment. Curiously in our clocks this setting is inverted, as yours has F on the left side and S on the right. 1628291647444.png

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
View attachment 666550 It's S and F, as from what I understand all (most?) carriage clocks have these 2 letters indicating speed adjustment. Curiously in our clocks this setting is inverted, as yours has F on the left side and S on the right. View attachment 666553
if you look carefully you will see that the balance wheel is vertical in the clock shown in post #9, rather than horizontal (on a platform at the top of the clock) in most French clocks.

French clocks often have A R as an alternative, for the French words Avance (or fast) and Retard (or slow)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garyray
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-