Can anyone help an old guy out

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by Jim_Miller, Apr 23, 2008.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jim_Miller

Jim_Miller Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Male
    Retired
    Jackson, Michigan
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before, but,,,,,,,, there is a series called the world clock or universe series. I believe it consisted of 3 clocks that had globes for the pendulem. I've tried doing a search to find a thread, but my computers to slow and my patience runs out very fast:bang:. Can anyone give me a clue as to where I can find information on these? My apologies if my request sounds a bit scattered.
    Thanks

Jim

2. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Are you referring to the Kaiser "Universe" torsion clock?

3. Robert M.

Robert M. Registered User

Nov 20, 2004
    Jim,I believe the clocks you're referring to were called Kaiser World or Kaiser Globe.I can't say for sure if they made a series of three but I'm sure John Hubby,our resident 400 Day expert will be able to give you the full history.I can tell you this.They command a premium price.I was at a clock auction last week and one came up for bid and the opening bid was $600.00.I don't remember what the final bid was but i'm sure it was lofty.Hang in there until John reads your post.He'll give you the full skinny on the Kaiser Clocks.
    Bob Fullerton

4. ChuckR

ChuckR Registered User

Dec 6, 2007
    Male
    Retired
    S.E. Michigan
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi JIm,
    the clock you are talking about is refered to as a Universe clock. It was made by J. Kaiser. They were imported in Late 53 early 54, as I understand it, there was a trade mark problem with the word Universe and Kaiser quit selling them in the U.S. If you have the 400 day repair guide by Charles Terwilliger 10th editon, look on page 214 for more info. Sorry I do not know where else to look. Here is a picture of the clock.

Chuck

Attached Files:

5. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #5 John Hubby, Apr 23, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    Jim, after you click on the "Search" Icon at the top of the page, do the following:

1) In the "Forum" line, scroll to search only the "400-Day, Atmos and other Torsion Clocks" forum
    2) In the "Content" section, type in "kaiser universe clock" on the line that says "At Least Having".
    3) Click on "Search", and you will get two pages of thread listings that provide most of what there is to know about these clocks.

There were three "basic" designs, but actually eight different models of these clocks

Universe Models (all had working moonphase sphere and astrological dial design)

*Blue/White dial, White Chapter Ring, Blue/Gold pendulum, wide plate movement, white painted columns and base trim

*Blue/White dial, White Chapter Ring, Blue/Gold pendulum, narrow plate movement, white painted columns and base trim

*Blue/White dial, White Zodiac Chapter Ring, Blue/Gold pendulum, narrow plate movement, white painted columns and base trim

*Blue/White dial, White Chapter Ring, Blue/Gold pendulum, narrow plate movement, embossed brass columns and plain brass base

*Blue/White dial, White Zodiac Chapter Ring, Blue/Gold pendulum, narrow plate movement, embossed brass columns and plain brass base

*Silver/Gold dial, Zodiac Chapter Ring, Silver/Gold pendulum, narrow plate movement, embossed brass columns and plain brass base

World Models (all had large plain brass base with a kidney-shaped movement support plate over bent square rod supports)

*Large round Silver dial, round balls @ number positions, Silver/Gold Pendulum

*Large round White dial, cone-shape brass "dots" at number positions, Silver/Gold Pendulum

Here are some other variations:

*I believe there was one other variant of the white dial World model but I can't confirm. There are three variations of the white dial. One has has the balls like the one described above, one has black cone-shape round dots, and one has diamond-shape appliqués instead of the cone-shaped dots. Unfortunately I don't have photos of the one with the diamond-shape appliqués, but here is a photo of the other four:
    World Dials.jpg

*The movements on the Universe models with the embossed brass columns and plain brass bases are mounted about 3/16 inches higher than on the white painted ones. The suspension unit in the Repair Guide (Unit 34) is for the white painted ones, you will need to make up a longer spring to fit the embossed brass ones.

*There are two wide plate movement designs and two narrow plate designs. I've not been able to tell if there is any particular clock design they were used on, except that all the embossed column Universe clocks (including all the silver dial ones) and all the World clocks were made with narrow plate movements.

Here are some pics, this might help.

John Hubby
    >>>>

Grand Univ. White Dial.jpg World Silv. Dial.jpg DSCN0514.JPG Silver 1.jpg

6. Jim_Miller

NAWCC Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Male
    Retired
    Jackson, Michigan
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks all for your responses. I have the clocks that Mr. Hubby has shown in pictures 2 & 3. I was searching for information on the one pictured in #4. Actually, this is my wifes collection and I'm trying to locate the Grand Universe clock to complete her collection. Once again, thanks to all for the help.
    Jim

7. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jim, wish you good luck finding that one. I've only ever seen two of them in many, many years of collecting, don't have one yet for my collection either.:bang:

John Hubby
    >>>>

8. Jim_Miller

NAWCC Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Male
    Retired
    Jackson, Michigan
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    John, if I'm lucky enough to find one, I'll see if it has a mate and pass one on to you. :thumb:
    Thanks again for the information.

Jim

9. Mark SA

Mark SA Registered User

Nov 28, 2012
    Male
    HIV Educator and Business Owner.
    South Africa
    Country Flag:
    I know this is a old thread, but is this the clock that is being discussed.
    If so there is one for sale here in South Africa.

IMG-20191005-WA0023.jpg IMG-20191005-WA0017.jpg