Can any body help with ID

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Stevemon, Apr 9, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Stevemon

Stevemon New Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Country Flag:
    The only marks/names that I can see are on the dial (Tuck/Romsey). The clock belonged to my grandfather who lived near Romsey, Hampshire, UK. Here are a few photos to help ID I hope.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. soaringjoy

soaringjoy Registered User

Feb 12, 2009
    Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome Stevemon.
    A nice specimen of an old fusee dial clock or office clock.
    I have only found a listing for a Tuck, J. & L., Haymarket (1800 - 1830).
    The dating could fit, although I'm not sure about relationships. Others, knowing
    much more, will drop in... ;)

3. Tim Orr

Tim Orr National Membership Chair
    Director NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Male
    95% retired from the ad business.
    Boulder CO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good afternoon, Stevemon!

Of course the "Tuck" could very well be the owner of a business that used the clock, rather than the maker. I had great luck once with an old Garrard that had belonged to a business in Llanelli. I wrote a letter to the mayor of Llanelli and enclosed some snapshots. He passed those along to the librarian, who looked through old city directories and sent me a photocopy of the listing for the likely owner, along with information about the history of the city and of the change in the spelling of the city name.

You might give that approach a try.

Best regards!

Tim Orr

4. Thyme

Thyme Banned

Sep 18, 2006
    metro NY area
    No, that's not how it was done. The name on the dial is the "maker" (as such, the assembler of the components and retailer) of the clock.

Here's your answer: click here

Romsey ca. 1890: John Tuck, Jeweller / Watchmaker

5. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Stevemon, I presume you are saying there are no marks either on the front or the back of the movement? Photos would be of interest even if both the front and back plates are blank. Also if there are any marks on the back of the dial or anywhere inside or the back of the case those would be of interest.

Thyme's identification would confirm who was the original retailer of your clock, interesting listing he posted about the mayors of Romsey. It is possible that Tuck may have finished the clock, but I would suppose it was actually manufactured by one of the larger makers who sold these to the trade by the thousands. The application of business names on dials of this type clock as Tim mentions I believe came later; I have seen many such but for the most part they were from early to mid 20th century.

6. Thyme

Thyme Banned

Sep 18, 2006
    metro NY area
    In this time period in Britain the "maker" was usually more of an assembler than a manufacturer. There were no factory assembly lines; it was more of a cottage industry situation. The various components of the clock would be ordered from tradesmen in their respective fields, and the "maker" would fit them all together to create his clock. If there is a name on the dial, it is his.

7. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The name on English dial clocks is not usually the maker but typically the retailer, that doesn't mean it is never the maker though. It could also, as has been suggested, be the customer who may for example have been the owner of a retail establishment, including a jewellers, who wanted his own name on the clock or some other establishment such as a school, a railway company or a government department. In short there is no hard and fast rule.

8. Sarah Hargreaves

Sarah Hargreaves New Member

Apr 12, 2013
    #8 Sarah Hargreaves, Apr 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2013
    John Tuck was a clock maker in Romsey 1859 - 1915? He was mayor of the Town in 1890. He also made telescopes and believe worked with the Revd Berthon the vicar and inventor in the town.

www.woodleynet.co.uk/old_gallery_2.htm You can just make out the Tuck clockmaker in the old photo of Romsey Market Place

9. soaringjoy

soaringjoy Registered User

Feb 12, 2009
    Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the message board Sarah and thank you for the splendid research.
    The picture is the #4 when scrolling down.