can a floating balance like in a hermle 340-020 be rebuilt?

BCR

May 3, 2020
Country
I don't have the broken clock in hand yet, so no pictures. It has a FLOATING BALANCE similar to one like the ones in a Hermle 340-020 movement, only somewhat smaller and no longer available. It's for a small WUBA Warmink 8 day twin bell movement. I should probably wait until I have the clock so I can take tons of close-up pictures, and yes, I will happily do that when and if I finally get the clock. But, for now, does anyone know of an article or :???: talking about how to repair/rebuild a floating balance in general? Thank you

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Yes. David LaBounty has a DVD on how to do it. Go to the clock class page and scroll down.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
I don't have the broken clock in hand yet, so no pictures. It has a FLOATING BALANCE similar to one like the ones in a Hermle 340-020 movement, only somewhat smaller and no longer available. It's for a small WUBA Warmink 8 day twin bell movement. I should probably wait until I have the clock so I can take tons of close-up pictures, and yes, I will happily do that when and if I finally get the clock. But, for now, does anyone know of an article or :???: talking about how to repair/rebuild a floating balance in general? Thank you
BCR, most of the floating balance movements I have worked on do not need the balance rebuilt unless someone has actually broken it. In most cases they just need a good cleaning. The problem in almost all of these movements is usually a power problem in the time train. Once bushings are installed where needed and pivots polished, the balance performs well. I almost always bush C2, T2, and S2 and several others. The barrels and caps are often worn badly and need bushings. Once you clean the balance, mount it in a vice and rotate the balance wheel. If it continues for a couple of minutes, it’s fine.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
About all you can do is: straighten the frame, replace the wire that goes through the balance and repair or replace the spring. Balance springs are somewhat generic but AFAIK only available from a donar clocks.

So, it will be a long shot ...

Willie X

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsun
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre