Call them something...

Discussion in 'Horological Misc' started by rmarkowitz1_cee4a1, Jan 15, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Check it out in the NAWCC Events forum:
    Talk about the upcoming National Meeting
    If you love watches or clocks you've got to come!
  1. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    … but don't call them "freeloaders".

It was with some interest that I have followed the thread which asked about what additional sources of revenue might be found in order to support the NAWCC.

I guess I don't have any new great suggestions.

In that thread, certain people were referred to as "freeloaders". Now, I may have misread or misunderstood, but I believe that label was being applied to people who participated on the MB but were NOT NAWCC members.

Yes, there are people who are not NAWCC members and who use the MB for various inquiries, sometimes not even taking the little bit of time required to thank people for their responses and contribute little or nothing. Often those inquiries are about, well, things I'm not really interested in. And yes, I suppose I consider them "freeloaders".

However, there are many folks who are WONDER AND VALUED regular contributors of QUALITY CONTENT to the MB who though they are not (presently) NAWCC members, are thus anything BUT freeloaders. Some have donated to the MB operations, too.

We are so fortunate to have these folks regularly participating. I'm especially but not exclusively thinking about those in the UK and the on Continent who regularly bring us intelligent and informative discussions about some wonderful clocks.

I thank them all and look forward to their ongoing participation on the MB.

RM

Fritz Katzenjammer likes this.
  2. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Itinerate clock purveyor and amateur restorer
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, we have a number of people who provide a great deal of information, running commentary, photos, follow up, historical links and documentation, on and on, who are not members. I notice several contribute $$$ to the MB also. So, they "pay their way" in that fashion, in addition to their extremely valuable input. It would be extremely shortsighted to demand membership from folks just to participate in the MB. While I think NAWCC membership is the cheapest and best date in town, others with different interests and different geographics will not receive the same benefit as me, or RM for that matter. I have no great ideas on how to better fund the NAWCC, I agree it must be done, but the how to do so remains the big problem.

3. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    I second that!

By the way, I meant to say "WONDERFUL" not "WONDER" in my original posting.

Again, my less than wonderful proof reading.

RM.

4. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Itinerate clock purveyor and amateur restorer
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is indeed a small mind that can only spell a word one way! At least that is my claim......back to the discussion and my usual thread drift, one of our really great contributors needs to change his screen name with at least a prefix of "notso"?

5. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Agreed!!

But then again, often the most knowledgeable are often the most humble?

RM