American California has discontinue selling denature alcohol,

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by pwedel, Feb 13, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. pwedel

pwedel Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A question was brought up at out last chapter meeting, California has discontinue selling denature alcohol, many use it as their final rinse to remove water after they clean their, and rinse the clock movement in hot water. There are other rinse products available thru the clock supply sites; but, is there any other product that can be used in place of denature alcohol?

2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What about isopropyl alcohol the higher alcohol content like 80 to 90 percent. Most people i know use this.

3. pwedel

pwedel Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you Kevin

Kevin W. likes this.
  4. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Denatured alcohol, also called methylated spirit or denatured rectified spirit, is ethanol that has additives to make it poisonous, bad-tasting, foul-smelling, or nauseating to discourage recreational consumption. It is sometimes dyed so that it can be identified visually.

Isopropyl is preferred due to the additives. I can usually find a quart for a dollar at Dollar General. I don't think it goes bad if kept sealed

5. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I agree with all above, I have always used isopropyl alcohol. Denatured spirit has the additives to make it unpleasant and these often leave a whitish residue.

JTD

6. pwedel

pwedel Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you

7. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Not to mention the blindness and lingering death ...

91% Isopropyl alcohol is available at your closest Wally-World. It's usually about 2.50 per quart.

Willie X

8. claussclocks

claussclocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Regular rubbing alcohol is 50 - 70% Isopropyl Alcohol so it already contains water. Willie is right, that sold at Big Box DIY stores, Walmart , and paint suppliers will be 91-99%.
    My biggest question is the loss of denatured alcohol for use in mixing and thinning shellac. Ethanol is the solvent of choice for shellac preparation. Denatured alcohol is ethanol with methanol and Methyl Isobutyl Ketone added to make it unfit to drink. I guess you could go to the local liquor store and buy "Everclear". That's ethanol. Just don't use the "2 ounces for the shellac one ounce for the maker" formula and you should be alright. :D

Ethanol is a grain based product. Isopropyl Alcohol is made from petroleum or natural gas. If you try to mix shellac flakes with Isopropyl Alcohol it must be 99% or the water will ruin your shellac.

DPC

Bruce Alexander and THTanner like this.
  9. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yeah, but what's with California??

10. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    They can't get rid of the smog, so they get rid of everything else :D

11. claussclocks

NAWCC Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's a fact that cows produce methane gas. Soon they will outlaw beef and raising cows to cut air pollution and then go buy bigger cars.

12. Levi Hutchins

Levi Hutchins Registered User

Oct 21, 2012
    Soon, "they" will be banning lead paint for clock cabinets and radium for dials!

O^8

13. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    California seems to like banning stuff, they even banned vaping but not smoking which kinda makes you think the plot is well and truly lost.

14. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    You do visit other states ... right?
    Willie X

15. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just wondering if E85 gasoline would work well. It should be available in California and is cheap. It has 85% of ethanol.

Uhralt

16. lylepete

lylepete Registered User

Feb 9, 2003
    E85 technically it would work but it has gas in it and would stink. Just buy some good old everclear.

17. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Frys.com shows that they still carry 99.9% Isopropyl in California.

18. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The only reason gas is added to E-85 is to keep people from drinking it. Otherwise, it is everclear.

19. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    I think Bugs has a work around there. 15% gasoline probably won't make much difference making your shellac. Or just buy it already cut. A good paint store can supply you with many different types. Willie X

20. claussclocks

NAWCC Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, for now, here in Texas we have the real thing. In fact, since I have business with Chemical distributors here I can get from 5 gallons up to a 330 gallon tote with a phone order. However, I don't know what I would do with 330 gallons of the stuff. I do keep a 5 gallon pail around for shellac making and repair. Since lunacy in government seem to start on one coast or the other and move inland I assume someday we will face the same issue.

DPC

21. steamer471

steamer471 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Male
    Self employed
    Charlotte NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  22. claussclocks

NAWCC Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #22 claussclocks, Feb 17, 2020 at 10:06 AM
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020 at 10:13 AM
    It has nothing to do with clocks but "Everclear" is used in veterinary medicine as an antidote to antifreeze poisoning. There are, of course, certain dosages but given within thirty minutes of antifreeze ingestion by an animal it can prevent kidney failure by binding up the ethylene glycol before it attaches to and destroys the kidney cells.
    Just a bit of trivia

This just highlights the question as to why outlaw denatured alcohol. You can't drink it. The methanol used in denaturing it is poisonous and so is the MIBK. The product cannot be separated without a very complex distilling process. Hardly worth the effort. Maybe I can see banning Everclear. Improperly used it is dangerous. But denatured alcohol is a solvent used in paint, printing, and other industries.

The cosmetic industry uses another product SD40 Alcohol which is drinkable but is very strictly controlled

DPC

23. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not sure it is a great idea to use any flammable liquid for clock repair.
    Ron