Calibrating Chime w/Hour Seth Thomas Eclipse

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by CSIMelissa, Jan 15, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. CSIMelissa

CSIMelissa Registered User

Jun 3, 2018
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Ok, I'm a newbie to clock collecting so this is probably a silly question. On my Seth Thomas Eclipse ball top the chime and the hour are not calibrated where the chime strikes the correct number of times on the hour. My other clocks have a little wire you push up to activate the chime and I have set those clocks correctly that way. This clock does not have that. Thoughts? Thanks!

2. Jim Hartog

Jim Hartog Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 6, 2010
    house husband
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Melissa?

Both the lyre movement and the #44 movement used in the Seth Thomas Eclipse use a trip wire that hangs down on the right side (time side) of the movement. The wire is pulled down to trip the strike train vs the push up of the ones on the left side (strike side). Look for something on the right side. Failing that, let the clock strike the hour and then move the hour hand (it is just a friction fit but may be tight if it has been on for a while) to the correct hour. I believe the movement either does not strike the half hour or strikes the half hour in passing (doesn't use the count wheel) so just moving the hour hand should work. I may be wrong. Others may make comment.

Jim

3. CSIMelissa

CSIMelissa Registered User

Jun 3, 2018
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Jim. I'll try moving the hour hand as there is no trip wire. I haven't opened up the clock and while I believe the movement is Seth Thomas, I tend to think it's not original to the clock because there are screw holes in the backing of the clock with nothing in them

4. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You can also use the 11-9 method. Move the minute hand to the 11 (you should hear it go into warning) then back to the 9. It will strike. Do it again until the strike is one less than the hour hand reads. Then when you hit the 12 it will strike correctly.

5. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Some of these movements don't have the corection wire at the bottom. They are designed to be reset by turning the minute hand backwards about 15 to 20 minutes and then foward past the 12. Each cycle will advance the count one hour foward. Do this carefully, stop if you feel any resistance and don't go back furthur than about 20 minutes till.

Another method is to go foward with the minute minute hand until you hear the warning sound, usually about 3 to 5 minutes before the hour. When you hear the sound imediately stop and move the hand backwards and it will strike. Continue this as necessary being careful NOT to go past the 12 until going past the 12 will give you the correct count.

Yet another method. Turn the minute hand past the 12 and note how many hours you are behind what the hour hand indicates. Then go around past the 12 again, this time (quickly and carefully) keep going round and round until you 'catch up' to the correct hour count. This may take several tries.

The first method is peculiar to later #44 S-T movements, posibably what you have there. The later two methods are generic and will work with most any count wheel striker. This class includes nearly all old American clocks and quite a few older European clocks but most will have a wire, or a convenient lever, to make the re-sync easier. Willie X