Calendar alarm clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Bruce Barnes, Aug 2, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User

Mar 20, 2004
    Just purchased this nice clock from one of the members/contributors here and I wonder if anyone has any clues as to who the manufacturer might be or it's age.
    Your comments will be appreciated,
    Bruce

cal 1.jpg cal 2.jpg

PatH likes this.
  2. SteveC1964

SteveC1964 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Retired
    Houston, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Your clock was made by Kroeber Click Company. The model is the Thistle. They are not common clocks.

3. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Many thanks Steve, I am looking forward to pulling the back plate and see if the works were made by Kroeber or a sub contractor. I would guess ca 1890-1905.
    Regards,
    Bruce

4. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    With the info provided I have found a few examples of the Kroeber Thistle but none with the calendar function. Since I don't have Trans book I wonder if this was an additional add on for this model or if maybe I have a "marriage" movement?

Bruce

5. SteveC1964

SteveC1964 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Retired
    Houston, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have at least two of these. I think E. N. Welch might have made the movements. I have not seen one without the Calendar.

6. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Thought provoking............I researched this model and the alarm adjustments were brass and circular this clock has a solid bar and from the photo looks to be original.Also the 3 I found online had a numerical scale for the alarm time and none had the calendar function.The owner bought it and it was a display item for 35 years,he fired it up and all functions worked.
    Again thanks for your help and comments,
    Bruce

7. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    SteveC, are there any caveats in removing the works from the case?,in the past with other clocks I have reverse twisted the "knobs" and pulled the plate with this one there are three screws in the surround that appears to secure the works. My guess is to remove the three screws and the works and dial should come out.
    Your thoughts,
    Bruce

8. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Also notice the subtle differences in the case design,close but....................didn't need the extra photo,and the center one is listed as the Kroeber Thistle 1874
    Bruce

cal 1.jpg 6aaadd8f39bcf1b388e485d171e2f631--antique-clocks-hourglass.jpg cal 1.jpg

9. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    One interesting point here is I have pulled the movement and like a lot of Kroebers clocks they had unmarked movements but this one has Geneva stops on both the alarm and time arbors which I thought maybe a little unusual for a relatively inexpensive movement.
    Bruce