Cable Size for Herschede Grandfather two weight movement

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Johnwbechtel, Feb 19, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Johnwbechtel

Johnwbechtel Registered User

Jan 27, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    #1 Johnwbechtel, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    I recently bought a circa 1923, two weight Herschede grandfather clock. One of the winding cables is broken. I am aware that most Herschede clocks use an 1/16” brass cable. However this clock has 3/64” cable in it. Steven Conover in his book - How to Repair Herschede Tubular Chime Clocks , 2nd Edition (Pg 43) identifies this clock’s movement as the lesser quality movement with zinc cast cable drums.
    :???: - So my question is: “Is 3/64” brass cable correct for this movement or did someone put in the wrong size cable and I should switch it to 1/16” brass cable? - :???: Thank you for your response and advice.

2. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've never dealt with a 5 tube movement before, but all of the 9+ bell movements that I have laid my eyes on all used 1/16" as you mention above. how well does the 3/64" cable fit into the lands on the cable spool? does it look like when its wound properly, the cables are tight against each other or does it appear there is a gap between each loop?

I would say the 3/64 is probably capable of easily suspending half of a 50lb weight for many years without fail. I assume your heaviest (chime train) weight is probably 25lbs or less?

how are your cables attached to the clock? if they are knotted, its probably safe to assume they were replaced at one point.

3. Johnwbechtel

Jan 27, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Brian,

Thanks so much for your reply. I checked the other Cable Spool and see that the 3/64" brass cable fits snuggly side by side on the spool. So I am assuming it is 3/64". I ordered some brass 3/64" cable.

Also:
    1. You mentioned about the knots at the end of the cables and that if they were knotted that they had been replaced. How did they originally come? I learned that you were supposed to fold the cable back on it's self 3 or 4 times in small half inch folds and then tie a knot over the folds. I've yet to take a cable out of the spool. What is the knot supposed to look like inside the spool?
    2. I wanted to say that I really liked your history of restoring the 11 Tube Jacques Clock. I was amazed about the part of using Gojo to clean the cabinet. Did the Gojo take off the shellac or just the dirt on top of the shellac? Can you provide a link for the tutorial on restoring a shellac-ed cabinet?
    3. You mentioned that in the process of buying your Jacques - that you made a lot of friends of Herschede Experts. I'd like to be in contact with them. How would I track them down?

My "1923 Two weight - 5 tube" is my third Herschede and I'm looking at three more. All of mine are 5 tube. (years 1923, 1941 and 1952)

Again thanks for your help.

John in NJ

4. brian fisher

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    hey John,

I checked with a friend of mine and he said Herschede clocks came from the factory with knotted cable ends. I'm kind of surprised by this because it seems kind of chintzy in my opinion. I have seen a couple with swaged ends on various clocks. perhaps that was done later by someone that held my opinion.

the gojo does not harm the shellac in any way. it is amazing how amazing that stuff works. in fact, months later when I look back on it, I am still amazed at how amazing it is. did I use "amazing" enough times? I am on my phone and its a bit difficult to post a link, but go to youtube and search gojo and clock. I think that is what I used to find the video of some guy with a mid western accent describing the ins and outs. I'll post a link of one of my friend's web sites when I get the chance, I think you can also do a search for him though. covenant clocks in beaverton, Oregon. he has posted a lot of good info about Herschede on his web site.

you should definitely post pics of your clocks. just sayin'....... ;)

Sevan likes this.
  5. Johnwbechtel

Jan 27, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Good Morning Brian. Thanks for your recommedation on using GOJO for cleaning a dirty clock cabinet. I've been using it and it works great. I was able to get my 1923 2-weight Herschede up and keeping perfect time. I ordered 3/64 cable and it was a perfect fit. However I'm having problems with the chime mechancism. One of these days I'll find a guy who understands the unique chime system of the early 2 weight works. It is so different than the newer 3-weight systems. Thanks for your help! John in NJ

6. brian fisher

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I understand those 2 weight mechanisms can be pretty cantankerous. I've personally never had the opportunity to work on one of them.

I don't know your abilities but I would pull the movement out of the cabinet and remove the face. I would then wiggle around all of the pivots to see if you have any excessive wear on your plates. especially look at those closest to the top of your movement. they are the biggest power robbers.

there is a commonly reprinted book about repairing herschede clocks by Steven Conover. I would buy one of those. I think it costs less than 25.00 from the clock supply places. there is a ton of good information in there. the knowledge here also applies to other clocks such as your Winterhalder.

7. tickntock1

tickntock1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Hello,
    I have a five tube, two weight Herschede - it is a 3/4 striking Westminster. Quite a unique striking mechanism, to say the least. For an in depth discussion of this movement's strike train, please see volume38, issue no. 304, page 634 of The Bulletin. I'm sure this will help you.
    Regards, Jim